Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I can't stand wearing a safety harness!

Old 10-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I can't stand wearing a safety harness!

Thanks partner,
I've learned a valuable lesson this morning.don't hang your bow up on a tree hook. [&:]My wife don't hunt but when I told her about my bow hanging up and a doe appeared she says "What were you thinking?? "
Probably the stupidest thing I've done this year. I still feel bad.I've waited 4 years for the opportunity and let it slip away. In a public hunting area you don't get too many opportunities.

Last years lesson... don't put a scope cover on. Nearly lost a deer twice doing that. Got very lucky.got them both.

Yes...for me faith has a lot to do with my hunts. Last week while walking back to my Explorer a big 10 and 8 pont ran across in fornt of me. I thought yesterday...Maybe God was trying to tell me something..so I moved my Summit deep into the bayhead there among some oak trees. yesterday.

I felt strongly in my heart I was going to see something today. I doubted and left my bow hanging on tree hook. At 7:30 AM this morning a beautiful doe just appeared. When the doe ran away I felt my inner spirit saying ..I told ya so.

I'm also learning to listen better to the quiet voice.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:31 PM

Don't just try. Do it.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:05 PM

I hated using a safety harness, it would always fall around my shoulder. At the end of season last year I was filming a hunt formy cousin and sittingin a stand that he put up. I was scared to death in that thing. After that I went and purchased a gorrilla vest system, I can't imagine not wearing one now for the value of the vest. It was 50 bucks at walmart and its the same one that is 80 dollars at cabelas. So I can thank my cousin for putting the stand up in a dangerous position.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Funny how guys cant stand wearing the harness...I went hunting without one once(Forgot it)and was very uncomfortable in my stand...the last thing you want to do while leaning to make a shot is fall out of your stand and break your neck,ankle,arm,leg...whatever into a million pieces[:@] and die in the woods next to the trophy buck that you just killed[:@][:@]

i use hunter systems vest and like it alot...make sure the tree strap is adjusted to about eye level once your in the stand and your mobility should be just about even with the limits of the stand...u can turn and shoot from both sides this way also

Old 10-07-2006, 07:25 PM

keep the strap on the tree, and rig up a way so that you just clip your harness to it when you get into the stand. The only problem i see with tmy idea is that it may be noisey to usemetal hardware, but i wonder if you rap it with like duct tape or something to stop metal to metal contact. I dont know, just a thought.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

i forgot to mention that i have a permanent strap attatched to the tree about seat heightthat i clip into with aquick connect before going from the pegs to the stand once im in i takethe other strap out of my pocket and attatch that to tree at eye level then i unhook from the lower strap and hook into the strap that i just attatched at eye level. about 5 seconds without a harness.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

BC, thank you. I hope you also have a safe and successful season this year and I'm glad to hear that you like the ascender idea.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:00 PM

Well i also use the hunter saftey system, I love it. and i have never had a problem untill the other night when i shot my buck. I didnt put the strap up high enough and when i went to draw it caught my arm at half draw and i had to bend my elbow in and put it under the starp. Luckly i could do this and still get my buck!!
But i would never hunt with out it, I even wear it when i hunt on the ground sometimes, Espeacially gun hunting, since i have the one that reverses to orange. I like to have it on just in case i shoot something, that way i can hook the deer to the bottom hook thing and drag it out. its alot easier.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing that I found that really helps me is to wear the safety harness during your practice sessions. Even if you're just standing on the ground you can still strap yourself to a tree and practice from different angles. It will not take you long to get used to the feel of the vest. I personally like to have my harness lower on the tree rather than higher. So when I draw my bow the tether is below my elbow and not above. But that's just me.

Good luck to everyone and please stay safe out there.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

I have heard too many horror stories about hunters falling from treestands and won't hunt from a stand unless I have the harness on . I bought the Hunter Safety System at the beginning of last season . I don't want to spend my remaining years in a bed or a wheel chair .

Quick Reply: I can't stand wearing a safety harness!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.