Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I can't stand wearing a safety harness!

Old 10-07-2006, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I can't stand wearing a safety harness!

I have a Hunter Safety System that I use and I think it is great. In my work I have to use fall arrest systems all the time. They are restrictive and very uncomfortable. The HSS is not like that at all. You can put it on in the dark. It comes with all the necessary accessories you need.
All you need to do is tie harness rope off head high to the tree and you will have enough room to sit, stand, and turn around without any restrictions.
With systems like this there is no reason not to use one. The Hunter Safety System is not the only system like this. It is just the one have used for hunting.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.a...86&mpage=1

This works. If you do this for a while, it will be like owning a cell phone...you'll wonder how you ever got by without it.

I use this simple system on every one of my fixed position treestands. My bowhunting buddy was just like you...never wore a harness in the the past.
Now he flat will not hunt without his ascender and full body harness.

It takes a little effort, but you are almost guaranteed to NEVER fall to the ground. Further I can promise you its less effort that living the rest of your days in a wheelchair ...or worse.

A piece of rope, an acsender, and a full body harness...its that easy to be safe.

No more tying in in the darkess. No more climbing and climbing down unprotected.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I too hated wearing a harness, but now I don't mind! I use the Hunter Safety System Vest and the rope I got from my Lone Wolf tree-stand! The rope goes around the tree and clips into the strap from the vest!! This works about easy as it gets! I will wear a harness EVEY time I hunt from now on!

On a side note, my brother met the owner of the Hunter Safety System the other day. He owns a house across the street where I grew up, which is now my uncles house, well my brother went over to his house because it was for sale. They started talking and hunting came up in the conversation and and I love to bow-hunt. He gave my brother a entire system Vest, Line-mans belt and the Rope system to give to me! I thought that was very cool of him! So now I have 2 vest and will always wear one! Good luck this year!

Good Luck and stay safe!!!!
Old 10-07-2006, 09:10 AM

I agree, but it is worth it. About 11 years ago, I was going to move my ladder stand, and fell. I climbed 17 feet to the top, loosened the strap , thinking I was safe because I still had the brace line tight, and the ladder was under tension, shifter hard to the left and began to fall. I grabbed two of those big , thick vines hanging from the tree and they snapped. I fell 17' to the ground. Landed 1 foot away from a jagged stump. I couldn't move, due to the shock to my spine and body. It hurt like hell. After the pain began to dull a little, about 25 minutes on my back,and I found Icould move a little, I started trying to getto my feet ( slowly ) , and limped my way out of the woods. It felt like everything in my body was broken. I got to my truck and made my way home.

I was lucky.... thats all , LUCKY. I now use a harness all the time, and I use my ol' man climber to attach and take down my ladder stands, EVERYTIME. And I hunt in it too. LUCKY ! And I had never fallen before either. But laying on the ground in the woods, unalbe to move any part of my body, for about 25 minutes BUT thinking it was perminant will change a man.

Please wear your safety gear guys and gals. You nay not care about yourself, but other people care about you, do it for them.

Good Hunting

God Bless
Old 10-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

My other problem is, I think it's more dangerous putting the strap around the tree everytime you sit. Pitch black in the morning with dew on the platform and you have to stand 15 feet in the air hugging a tree to strap the harness in, instead of just climbing up and plopping down.

I just fixed that problem today. When I went to climb down, I left the darn thing strapped to the tree with the harness still attached. That should cut down on alot of noise dragging it through the woods and attaching it.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

vc1111, I noticed this thread and just wanted to chime in to THANK YOU again for posting the mountain gear website last year.

After the fall I took last year I purchased two ascenders and a bunch of rope. Sure, it takes a few minutes longer for the initial setup, but the piece of mind, and the safety factor is worth a LIFETIME.

BTW, two surgeries and month`s of rehab have me physically back to where I was before the fall.

Mentally.......I have hung roughly 25 stands this year so far in PA, Wisconsin, Ohio, and Illinois.......and each time I start from the ground I get nervous. Not a nice feeling for a guy that basically does this stuff for a living.

Using a quality full body harness AND an ascender system is a bit of a pain....but I quarantee you that it is better than what I went through...and what I put my wife through.

Good hunting this year......

Old 10-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, I would SERIOUSLY look into what VC1111 has to offer in the way of advice...

With that said, the long cotton ropes with prusic knots used on Fall Woods' Seat O' The Pants harnesses (and sold by Summit) allow you to attch the tether rope extremely high above your head, which in turn allows you plenty of manueverability to spin circles under the rope and not have it get in your way.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

I always wondered why they make the strap that goes from the back of your vest or full body harness and attaches you to the treeso dang short!?! That's where the problem is. Why can't there be a couple extra feet on it so it dangles down and not so tight when you're standing? If you happen to fall I dont' think the 2 feet you fall will be that catastrophic.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:43 PM
Dominant Buck

I poersonally don't trust manmade machinery..especially with my life. Therefore I always wear a harness. I have a Bullet Backpacker Summit and last year the cable came out of it as well. It was my own faultfor not liningthe cable up properly but at my weight and size I'd be scared not to wear a harness.
c7
Old 10-07-2006, 01:53 PM

hey chuckz,

cool avitar, and message............very cool

Good luck

good hunting

God Bless

Quick Reply: I can't stand wearing a safety harness!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.