Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

out of ideas....

Old 10-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default out of ideas....

Well since im all outta ideas....ill just tell exactly what kind of situation im in and see if u guys can give me any pointers.

Okay well i got permission to hunt a small 7 acre lot of property just across the street from where i live. One one side of the lot is a horse farm, and corn fields surround all the other sides. the area is very thick with brush and vines. the side that i have to enter is at the top of a hill. Igo inon the far right side because the 8 point that i am after beds on the far leftandwatchesdown over the hill. I believe that its thick enough that i can get back there without him spotting me but im not completely sure and idk any other way to get back there. once im at the bottom, i usually make some sort of a ground blind but also try to keep movement and noise to a minimum.

there are two things that i am mostly concerned about...The fact that the 8 smelled me one day while scouting (havnt seen him since), and that since im not hunting from a stand, scent plays a large roll in success and i cant seem to get rid ofmy scent. lastyear i tried to use scentless soap before i went out, but soon found out that i was allergic to it.

any idea what i should do?

There is a smaller buck runnin around and since im a jr here in PA i can shoot any buck that walks by me. if he presents a shot, then i will take it because i will have plenty of time to worry about shooting the big one w/ the ARs. But even the little deer busted me today....
Old 10-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: out of ideas....

If the 8 pt busted you in his core area which I assumed the 7 acres might be then you may or may not ever see him again. I have bumped them out of their bedding/coreareas only to kill them a couple of days later in the same spot Butit was the rut.Many times when you get busted in their core area they'll find another spot to hold up or go totally nocturnal on you. If he was in the rut it would be a different story. If you know where he beds exactly in the 7 acres you have to get in there down wind. If you can't get in there down wind of where he beds don't go in there until you can. I have to be honest though that your not going to get into a 7 acres core area too many times before he knows your there or that your coming, so you better kill him quick.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: out of ideas....

instead of scent killer soap. get yourself some scent killer spray and spray the outside of your hunting coths before putting them on, that way you can spray the back of your shirt/pants etc.
On your ground blind idea, build something where you most like to sit that will be there for the rest of the season. In other words, build it once, and use it many times so that you can walk in and sit down with as little commotion as possible!
It sounds like the area you're hunting is a lot of small parcels of land, probably with quite abit of human activity near by. If that's the case, then bumping a deer a time or two, shouldn't make them move very far for any length of time. Deer ar like people in that once they find a home that gives them security, food, water near by, they don't like to venture far for very long, they don't like to leave an area that they know. many studys have been done that shows even deer run by dogs, moved by walking hunters and the like,will return back to thier home range in a very short period of time.
So, wait until the wind is perfect and you might even wait until you get some moisture on the ground which will help you move through the woods more quietly to your ground blind. It's still early in the season, don't rush it!