Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dark or Dawn???

Old 10-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dark or Dawn???

I use a flashlight for my safety. I would rather bump a deer with my flashlight than have a BH or slug flying my way.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think it really bothers them that much. I've walked right up to deer in the woods while using my flashlight - sometimes to with-in a couple yards away. I've never been able to do that in daylight. That being said, I still refrain from using it if I can see enough to avoid touching brush on the way in.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a very bright spot light and only hunt in the dark! Just kidding!
When I hunt a bed area, I try to be there really early and most times it is very dark, so I use a flash light. I'm hoping that I beat them there while they're still out feeding, but that's not always the case. I don't think it matters a whole lot anyway. After a while I've found that they seem to go back to their routine. At least where I hunt.
When I hunt a feeding area I try to get there early as well, but it is usually in the early afternoon when it's light. When it gets dark, I try to be quiet and not get busted climbing down from my stand, but just walk as normal leaving. I've found over the years that if deer get used to seeing you leaving the area and you're not too close, they aren't so bothered by your presence. After all, they know where you are, and you're headed away from them.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:00 AM

I try getting to my stand 45 min, to 1 hour before first light,even noing the area your still going to use your flashlight
Old 10-06-2006, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to be in my tree and set up at least 1 hr before sunrise. Preferably 1.5 hours. If the walk is an easy one (either on a nice trail or through a field) I keep the light off. If the walk is a tough one (over logs, through ravines, brush, etc) I use a light just so I don't trip and fall. I like to use a light when I'm in the woods because I've almost stepped on porcupines and skunks a couple of times walking in the dark.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know the woods and trails leading to my stands pretty well. I carry a flashlight and only "flick" it on for a couple seconds if I need to catch my bearings. It's probably off 90% of the time.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some locations I hunt i need to get in a full 2 hrs before light or deer will move into the area and bust my coming in. I like sitting in the dark, lots of stuff to listen to in the woods if they are calm. Then again, I also know a spot or two that deer generally show up an hour after sunup, but as a rule I generally use a light (unless there is a moon, my eyes night vision is good enough then) I think deer notice my movement more than the light
Old 10-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always go in when it's dark so I'm at my stand at least an hour before first light like alot of you have said, it lets the woods calm down for first light. I only use my flashlight whenI am in certain areasalong my route where there are twigs that I must avoid stepping on. That's a dead give away! The light gets pointed at the ground only. I know my routes well and don't wander.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:05 PM

at least 30 minutes before first light,,yes I use a red led head lamp,,,the deer just think I'm one of those red blinking lights on a T.V.antena...LOL,,if the deer bust you its probly because they winded you.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a flash light i like to be on stand an hour before first light it gives me time to settle down and get comfortable

Quick Reply: Dark or Dawn???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.