Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Good Broadheads for Bad Hits???

Old 10-06-2006, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Good Broadheads for Bad Hits???

I see a lot of fixed 3 blades on the market, but it seems like a 4 blade might do more damage. Is there less penetration on a 4 blade compared to a 3 blade?
Well to tell the truth, I've never been a fan of a two blade blood trail. We are not talking shooting water buffalo (I don't believe) here. I have found a three blade blood trail in my experience better then a two.The four (or five) blade heads about the same as a three as far as blood trails.

I hunt with a longbow and recurve, so the stuff you talk about is important to me. Last year, I took a real nice buck with an exceptional blood trail with a 150 grain magnus stinger (with bleeders). The bleeder blades on them are rather small and they are made to break (the bleeders) if they encounter heavy bone. The main blade is extremely sharp out of the package and is a COC. I'll be using them again this year. I'm also testing out some 220 grain Muzzy Phantoms.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

As you're going to continue to hear from just about everyone - it's give and take when it comes to penetration and the size of the hole you want to punch through your target. Inherently the larger the blades and the bigger the cut, the more surface area and more drag is created, thus slowing the arrow down and inhibiting penetration. Increase cutting diamter, decrease penetration, and visa versa.

In my personal opinion the key is finding the best of both worlds and what you feel comfortable shooting. If you make a bad shot, you make a bad shot. Its going to happen. You might get lucky and catch an artery and put the animal down quickly, and again you might not and you may never recover your animal.Statistically youhave a better chance at hitting that artery if your'e shooting a bigger broadhead butagain, its a chance we all take. I personally do not feel comfortable enough with shooting a large expandable broadhead because I favor penetration and having an exit would versus putting a bigger hole in the animal. Pick up any Drury Outdoors video and you'll see they're all shooting the biggest expandables they can find - they obviously favor a large hole versus two smaller ones. Again - personal preference.

So I guess it comes down to this - you need to decide which you want more, a bigger hole, or a complete pass through. Then make your decision from there. There are a lot of broadheads that do one or the other very well, but not many that I can think of that do both of them well. If you favor both of these attributes equally, I think your buddy was on the right track with something like a Grim Reapor Razortip, an NAP Spitfire XP, Rocky Mtn. Snyper, or other expandable head with a small cut-on-contact tip.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a big fan of fixed blade heads. I've been shooting the 3 and 4 blade Muzzy's for years. While I've taken deer with both heads I tend to favor the 4 blade. I notice no difference in penetration or performance. The 3 blade makes a triangle hole and the 4 blade makes a square.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya know even though I don't use them the open on impact broadheads have the largest wholes as they have the largest blades. I used to use the NAP Spitfires and boy they worked great for me. But I listened to too many so called experts and changed to fixed blade Thunderheads. I lost 2 deer with the fixed blades last year and never lost a deer to the Spitfires. The spitfires have a very large blade on impact and man what a whole they leave I have always got a great blood trail. So what I'm saying is to hell with the experts I'm going back to the spitfires cause they work for me and even a margenel shot usually produces excellent results. By the way I don't know how you guys do it but usually I can't tell where my shot hit till I recover the deer. I can usually tell aproximately where but thats about it. One other point I'd like to make if you are a bow hunter and never lost a hit deer you haven't been hunting very long cause sooner or latter its going to happen to you. It sucks and we do everything we can so it dosen't but if you hunt for any length of time its going to happen to ya. goods luck shoot straight
Old 10-06-2006, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

By the way I don't know how you guys do it but usually I can't tell where my shot hit till I recover the deer.
Don't try to watch the arrow in flight. Only concentrate on the target.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

By the way I don't know how you guys do it but usually I can't tell where my shot hit till I recover the deer.
Don't try to watch the arrow in flight. Only concentrate on the target.
Follow through is very important. I shoot a white dipped/wrapped arrow with 2 white fleches, 1 blaze orange fletch and an orange knock. It's very easy to see where my arow goes while retaining the very important follow through. I shoot with both eyes open as well. I do aggree that you should not try to watch your arrow in flight. It will develop into some nasty habits and bad form, which may result in bad shooting.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Well Washington, I've only shot exactly 80 deer more than you with the bow. You will have a bad hit/shot/"event" sometime in you bowhunting career. It'll break your heart and you'll want an answer. Moebedda is simply looking for an answer to what WILL happen to everyone. I don't know that there is a correct answer. Just experiment and find something that works. I don't think you can ever go wrong with a Muzzy, Thunderhead or one of the reliable cut to the tip broadheads. I just loaded my quiver up with the Shuttle T locs. I love the way they fly and they seem to penetrate my Yellow Jacket an inch or two deeper than my venerable Thunderheads that have taken probably 40 deer for me. I've seen the blood trails and holes they left in deer for Len and his boy, Sean. I too seek perfection in an imperfect sport. We just look for the best we can find for that inevitable less than perfect shot. It's real easy to shake a finger and say shame on you for a bad shot.... but that's not the answer. I personnaly do not think the answer will ever lie with an expandable... but hey, that's me.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

One thing I believe can help a bad shot, sound tracking!!

Must give the deer time to expire, nothing else works IMO!!

I have to go with DM on this one, there is no right answer!
Old 10-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

There is no excuse for poor shots on game
Thats B.S.

Thats like saying there is no excuse to strike out in the world series!!!

Its not intentinal, any number of things can go wrong out there.
If you are taking a shot that you practice often at targets andmake a bad shotits nothing to be ashamed of just get out there, do you best to find that deer, and learn from your mistake.
However if you are presented with a shot that you are not comfortable with or have not practiced for and you take the shot and make a bad noethen you are right, there is no excuse for that.

Oh and Moebedda: as for your question. Alot of people don't like the penetration of mechanicals however I have had a pass throught on 100% of the deer I have shot with the NAP spitfires. and they make one hell of a hole.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I found that website a few years ago and I decided to try the magnus stingers (4 blade). To me they are the best head out there that I have tried.

Quick Reply: Good Broadheads for Bad Hits???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.