Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

just some general questions

Old 10-05-2006, 04:20 PM

Default just some general questions

Hey everyone, whats up? Just getting some general ideas from people. I live in the middle of Missouri, near Jefferson City. Today is October 5 and i was wondering how much longer everyone thinks i should wait before i can start a)rattling b)using doe pee or estrous scents? Also how many nights will you sit in a certain spot before you move even just slightly because someone told me they only sit in the same tree for a max of 3 nights because deer will figure outwhere the stand is and move maybe only 50 yards up. Also about how many acorns are falling this year, i know last year there was a huge abundance, but this year i rarely get to scout because i dont have much oppurtunity and when i do i hunt. I guess thats enough for one post. Good luck to all this year and thanks.

Go Cardinals and Mizzou!!
Old 10-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: just some general questions

Hey missedbigbuck, I'm just up the road in Columbia! I'll give you my thoughts on your questions...

a). Rattling is kind of an iffy topic topic this time of year.There are so many factors that influence "thebest time to rattle." The reason for your question, I'm sure, is to help you determine thebest times to draw in a buck. First of all, you could probably start adding a very light "tickling" sequence to your hunts in the next week or so, just to try anddraw in a curious buck.Your second option would be in late October and into November when the pre-rut is hot and heavy and rattle right into the peak-rut period when dominant bucks would need to fight to defend a hot doe.

b). I'm no scientist but I'd estimate that you could use doe pee from the middle ofOctober up into the pre-rut phase, then switch to some estrous scents to carry you through the rut. I don't think you'd see any ill effects from doing that.

c). Are you talking consecutive nights in the same stand? I think as long as you didn't get busted walking in or walking out or allow too many deer to spot you in your stand, that you can hunt the same stand for 2-3 evenings. Personally, I don't hunt the same stand that many consecutive nights but I don't see a huge problem as long as the deer are not "spotting" you!

d). I am seeingand hearing alot of acorns dropping but I don't think they are as abundant as they were lastyear. Of course last year in Missouri was the "bumper crop" year for acorns. Find a couple white oaks and hunt in close proximity and you'll be in good shape.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:43 PM

thanks mofireman, i forgot one question. that is on my scents(estrous and doe pee) i have spray nozzles. if i want to make a drag rag, about how many spritz's should i put on the rag to make it effective and should i spray them all on the same spot? thanks again
Old 10-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

1. Ratteling will get good about the third week of oct.
2. Use the scents any time you want to. There purpose is to have the deer stop and smell it giving you a chance to draw and shoot.
3. If you not getting busted in that stand than youy can keep using it. Play the wind right and you shouldn't. I hunt morning and evening in my stands and move to another. The main reason is becauseI like hunting different areas so I move around often. I got 6 stands up right now and several ground spots.
4. As for the acorns and you wanting to know how many will fall. I estimate about 2 billion give or take a couple. The acron crop does appear to be plentifull.

Welcome to the forum and go Jayhawks!!!!

Old 10-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

It really depends on how far your walk to the stand is. If it's a couple hundred yards, I'd put a good a good 3 to 4 sprays on both sides of the drag rag. If your walk isa lotfarther than that, I would start with that much and then reapply every so far!

If your drag rag is to allow a deer to trail you to your stand, you really don't need to start it at the truck. Maybe just start a couple hundred yards from your stand. However, if your drag rag is just for masking human odor, then I'd start the drag from near the truck and drag it all the way in. I know some people who hang their drag rags from a nearby tree once they get to their stand site!!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

You can hold off on your rattling an grunting until AFTER I get my big buck!! Then you can rattle your butt off!
-Good luck and just do what the other guys say.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the forums anyway!