Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Kill
72.52%
Harvest
27.48%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Kill or Harvest?

Old 09-27-2006, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Kill or Harvest?

I took the liberty of going to Webster on this subject. Here is what I found;
Harvest - 1. The act or process of gathering a crop. 2. The crop that ripens or is gathered in a season. 3. The amount or measure of the crop. (There is more, but it never makes mention of any animal or livestock)
Crop - (I put this one in since one could possibly argue deer can be a crop) 1. Cultivated agricultural plants, as grain, vegetables, or fruit. 2. The total yield of agricultural produce in a given season or place. (goes on, but never mentions livestock as a crop)
Kill - 1. To put to death. 2. To deprive of life. (Again, there is more, but this definition never mentions anything about a crop or harvest)
Hunt - (this is the icing on the cake. Pay close attention to #6) 1. To pursue (game) for food or sport. 2. To seek/look for. 3. To search through, as for game or prey. 4. To utilize hounds in pursuing game. 5. To drive out forcibly. 6.To pursue game or other animals in order to capture or kill them.

So, it looks like, if you'd like to be grammatically correct, you only have one choice on this subject, and it is to use the word "Kill".
Old 09-27-2006, 08:54 AM
Dominant Buck

That's a Kill!!!

Old 09-27-2006, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MichaelT.

Farmers harvest their crops......I kill deer !!! Always have -- Always will.

I make no apologies for my hunting ! God gave me the animals of the world to use, and if it is ok with God then it is ok with me. Because I answer to no man, but to our Heavenly Father.

God did not invent political correctness, man did.

BTW - If we, "the hunters", do not have a backbone and stand up for ourselves and what we believe in, then who will? If you, the people who hunt,can't say what you do ( kill ) honestly and without apologizing, then we have already lost " the fight ".

Good Hunting

God Bless
AMEN...... I kill deers and eat'em, they taste good too. Harvest is forfarmers taking thier crops. I rarely use the work harvest as a hunting phrase, I usually say got, shot,or Kill even when i'm talking to anti's and non hunters. They all should know we hunters go huntand weSHOT,KILL andGOT a deerfor dinners.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:08 AM

Yes the english language is full of words to express the same thing, but that is not what the author of this thread was talking about. Go back and re-read the original post of this thread. The author references the anti-hunters, and saying harvest to keep them off our backs. That is the proper context, and when you use the word harvest in that context, it is apologetic.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:08 AM
Dominant Buck

MY Webster's dictionary also gives these three:

Harvest:

1) the quantity of a natural product gathered in a single season
2) the product or reward of exertion
3) to win by achievement

My dictionary ALSO has a defintion for another word: TACT

When your 7 yr old asks where babies come from.....do you tell 'em you were *%^&$ing her mama and she got pregnant. Cause.....that's what happened! Don't hold back!

Jeff
Old 09-27-2006, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I harvest vegetables-I kill animals.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

If I'm talking to non-hunters I'll say"I got" or "I took".

If I'm talking to hunters I'll say "I killed" or "I shot".

Depends on the audience.

Same here. I do use the word "harvest" sometimes.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

i harvest vegetables out of the garden, i kill deer than harvest them into my plate
Old 09-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I get so fed up with this polictically correct B.S. It seems like no matter what we say or do, someone will be offended. It is what it is. I am a hunter, not no dang farmer, being a hunter, I kill, sugar coat it all you want. Taking a life of an animal is killing, so be it and accept it for what it is. I'm proud of what I do and what I am, therefore, I call it what it is, without apology.

Bobby

ps. No I did not vote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Dominant Buck

You have to kill anything to harvest it.

Quick Reply: Kill or Harvest?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.