Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Kill
72.52%
Harvest
27.48%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Kill or Harvest?

Old 09-27-2006, 04:02 AM

Default RE: Kill or Harvest?

Farmers harvest their crops......I kill deer !!! Always have -- Always will.

I make no apologies for my hunting ! God gave me the animals of the world to use, and if it is ok with God then it is ok with me. Because I answer to no man, but to our Heavenly Father.

God did not invent political correctness, man did.

BTW - If we, "the hunters", do not have a backbone and stand up for ourselves and what we believe in, then who will? If you, the people who hunt,can't say what you do ( kill ) honestly and without apologizing, then we have already lost " the fight ".

Good Hunting

God Bless
Old 09-27-2006, 04:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I usually say, killed or took, same diff.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on who I'm talking to. If its a hunting bud I thumped, whacked, spiked or sumpin like that. If it is someone I don't know I usually say I gently pulled back the cellophane wrapper...>>>>>>Whack!!
Old 09-27-2006, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question: Why do many hunters seem to think that using the term "harvest" is appologetic or somehowan attempt toavoid the fact that hunters kill things? I and many other hunters use both terms where appropriate and appologize for neither the choice of words or the act they refer to. English is a rich language with lots of wordsavailable to be used to give differingnuancewhen communicating. Both "kill" and "harvest" are applicable terms in this discussion and I don't think anybody is dim enough to not realize that harvesting animals includes killing them. People are only fooling themselves if after killing a deer they think they didn'tharvest a natural resource. By the same token if after harvesting an animal you think you didn't kill it you've got real issues.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Go to the bedroom with your wife.

Take off all your clothes.....and go at it for an hour.

Tell each other what you did to one another.

-----------------------------------

Now......go tell your children what you did.

Did you use the same words?

Gentlemen.....That God that everyone answers to doesn't make laws that outlaw hunting. I'm only trying to make sure the tree-hugger that might overhear me doesn't take offense to what I'm saying. The hunter I'm talking to knows exactly what I'm saying, too. An animal dies when it's harvested. It is killed. Point taken.

Jeff
Old 09-27-2006, 07:19 AM
BDC
Fork Horn

NON Hunter: What did you do this weekend?

BDC: Went Hunting.

NON Hunter: Did you "catch" anything?

Has anyone ever heard this before? LOL.

Maybe we all should start saying catch.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:20 AM

BDC I hear that one all the time.

My response is usually "Nope, but I killed a big one."

The reason I asked this question is put into perspective by several of the responses;

"It depends on who I'm talking to."

Those are the responses that make me think that the term harvest is replacing the word kill as a more politically correct way of saying things. People are doing it to protect others, namely the non-hunting/anti-hunting crowd.

I feel no reason to say harvest to protect anyone's feelings. I do what I do and I'm not ashamed of it, nor will I try to hide it or cover it up with a differentword.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

My inlaws are big time anti's...when they ask how the hunting is going I usually say "I've taken one" or "I got a nice one". I don't use "kill" or "harvest" with them.

I didn't raise the deer, I didn't harvest it.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have always sead "kill, took or shot" thats just what i am doing.
Afarmer uses "Harvest" thats just what he is doing.
If you talk to a few real farmers and ask what they wouldlike for you to do with all those deer eating there crops there awnser is kill them shoot them or take them.
I guess when a prisoner is put to death on death row the government should say We Harvested a prisioner today
I understand the reason someuse the wordharvest instead of kill its to keep from offending anyone that is watching these TV hunting shows or people that don`t hunt.
In the Websters dictionary the word KILL-says
1#To deprive of life,slay
2#To slaughter for food;Butcher
3#To destroy;put an end to
4#An animale killed as pray
5# Killed in the act of killing in hunting
Look it for yourself?
HARVEST-The act of of gathering in a crop ect..

[hr]
I`m Not trying to be a jerk or anything But tell it like it is.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

"harvest" in regards to hunting is just a way to soften the reality that animals die when a hunt is successful. The TV hunters I think are responsible for the use more than anyone else.

I always say "Kill" not to be imflamatory, it's just what I have always said.

Quick Reply: Kill or Harvest?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.