Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tips for improving shooting skills

Old 09-27-2006, 05:09 AM

Default RE: Tips for improving shooting skills

YSlo - You said "While we are on the subject I have a question about my form. Why do I sometimes find myself kind of sticking my belly out and leaning back when at full draw."

I bet your draw length isAT LEAST an inchtoo long..... I shortened my draw length when I bought my AR34 almost 1.5 inches and WOW what an improvement in form.....

As far as my tip goes....

Try this - leave your bow at the ready at night and first thing every morning shoot ONE arrow at 30 yards before work... make it count like its 'THE' shot..... it will give you a lot to think about all day, and make you concentrate on making it count...
Old 09-27-2006, 01:01 PM

Even thou I didn't post the question, I want to thank everyone who posted their advice. Hopefully now, I too can become a more accurate shooter.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

#1 most important thing is consistency. Whatever you do, do it the same every time (grip, anchor point, release, etc.)
I agree!
Old 09-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel the #1 most important thing is a good coach. A lot of people have too much pride to get one but honestly most people can benefit from one whether they want to be a good backyard shooter and a couple lessons is all they want, or if they want to be competitive on the state, national, or world level.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:51 PM

both eyes open so you can see through your target.. and also have the same knocking point each time
Old 09-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

The thing that has helped me become much more accurate is focusing on the target more, and not so much on the pins
Old 09-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks everyone for the tips. This has helped me revisit some things that I havent' thought about or neglected paying attention to.

The one tip I've heard here a few times that I could never do (tried this morning again) is shoot with both eyes open. I'm all over the place with both open.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:41 PM
Site Buck Guru

If you want to get the most bang for your buck, you should joint an indoor archery league. Strive to get to point where you can knock out 300's regularly. By doing this you will havehad to have used all of the previously mentioned tips. League is the ultimate practice. You won't get complacent as you could if you were just practicing by yourself. Be prepared, it's all about work, form, tuning and the mental aspect which is huge. Being the golfer that you are, this is right up your alley. Striving for perfection.

I know, I took up golf and can't get it out of my system.[:-]
Old 09-27-2006, 05:09 PM

Alot of good advice thus far...here is my input.

[ul][*]Make sure the riser is to the thumb side of your lifeline....relax your bow hand (if your fingers are sticking straight out your hand is NOT relaxed)...and make as little contact with the riser as possible. Alot of factory grips are not conducive to this...whenever I buy a bow, the first thing I do is pop the grip off. Simply put, you don't want 'too much hand' in the bow. I shoot off the riser, give it a try, you might be surprised how much it helps.[/ul]
[ul][*]Find a SOLID, repeatable anchor. I see alot of folks shoot that think they have a good anchor, but in reality it is a floating anchor (I was one of these for a VERY long time!)...I shoot both a back tension (for 3D) and a caliper for hunting, I turn the backside of my hand against my face with the space between my index and middle knuckle (lowest knuckle) going right to my jawbone. Using the same anchor for both releases forces me to use my middle finger as the trigger finger on my caliper....but this has helped tremendously as well.[/ul]
[ul][*]When shooting a caliper, 'hook' your finger over the trigger (into the first groove or wrinkle) and load a bit of pressure onto the trigger before shooting. DONT set the thing up to be so hot that it is a hair-trigger...you will have target panic really quick! [/ul]
[ul][*]Keep the elbow on your release arm up.[/ul]
[ul][*]I would suggest a sight with a round pin-housing. Center the pin housing within your peep. I think alot of folks center the pin in the peep....but center the housing![/ul]
[ul][*]Concentrate on the target...not the pin.[/ul]
[ul][*]Work on shooting with both eyes open...I know you say you just can't, but it will help you tremendously. Just work at it until you can do it.[/ul]
[ul][*]Shoot blind bale during the off-season...take the sight off your bow and shoot at a bale with no target. Concentrate on your form instead of where the arrow is going. It is very difficult to work on form AND hitting an exact spot. Turn it into two processes in the off season and you will shoot better.[/ul][ul][*]Have someone that knows archery check your draw length and adjust properly. A great number of shooters are shooting a bow that has a draw length that is too long. When I was first starting out (I am a self-taught shooter learning through trial and MANY errors) my 'anchor' was on the back of my neck....I was shooting a bow probably 3" or more too long.[/ul]Just a note about tuning; Tuning is VERY important when hunting as you want true arrow flight as a wobbly arrow can wreak havoc on your broadheads ability to do it's job. However, tuning will not make you a better shooter. A good shooter can take a bow that is way out of tune, and hit the same hole...because their shot sequence is repeatable.

Hopefully these will help you a bit, I'm sure I will think of more....good luck!

Old 09-27-2006, 07:23 PM

I went from a 29.5" draw to a 28" and it helped me a bunch. I also went to a heavier arrow and it helped. I think it might not have been the weight of the arrow, but the stiffer spine that helped, but either way it helped.

Quick Reply: Tips for improving shooting skills

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.