Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting from the ground

Old 09-27-2006, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting from the ground

I've never hunted from a tree. I'll probably try it some day but for my first few seasons it's been on the ground.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Typical Buck

It's a rush and very rewarding. I have shot a doe and shot at a bobcat hunting from the ground with my bow.

I have been watching a deer come out consistently on my plot this year, the only way to hunt him right, is on the ground. Sunday evening I will be there waiting, my luck it won't work, but I will give it a shot.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Piebalddoe

I was watching one of Roger Raglin's dvd's yesterday and saw how he hunts whitetails from the ground, just yards away from their deer trails. He got some really close shots.I think it would be awesome to try this at least once. At first it seems like the deer would see you too easily on the ground, but if you're camoed up enough and you stay completely still before you take your shot, it would work out ok. I also understand that the wind would have to be in my favor. Have any of you here successfully harvested a deer this way? Anyone have any pointers?
I think that hunting from the ground is a whole new difficulty level of hunting. Sorta like jumping from "rookie" to "all-madden" on your PS2 game. I have hunted some smart deer from the ground several times. I didn;t have any other choice because of the lack of climbable trees.

Experience 1) The biggest buck I EVER had within range with a bow comes walking 30 yards out parallel to the treeline I am sitting in. He's curling his lip, neck swollen and all, definately in rut searching for a doe. I think to myself, he's mine. He's got woman on the brain and surely he doesn't have his senses about him. As he passes directly in front of me at 30 yards I ease back my bow. He never saw me draw. Instead of getting him to stop and getting his attention, I follow him with my bow to shoot him as he walks. The moment I release the arrow and my bow goes "thwing", I kid you not his chest hit the ground and he ducked my arrow at 30 yards. This was with a Mathews Legacy bow.

Experience 2) A week later in the same spot (and with a faster bow [:@]), a deer comes out straight across the field from me. (about a 50 yard wide field). He walks straight at me until he hit about 20 yards wher I fugured I better draw before he gets way too close. As I drew he hit the brakes and couldn't tell what it was that just moved in the weeds directly in front of him. Before he could figure it out, the nice little 10 pointer got an arrow tipped with a Spitfire dead center in the middle of his chest. Needless to say he didn't make it too far.

I guess the moral of my story is, the deer are much more alert to things happening on the ground than things that happen in trees. They react to any noise they here from the ground immediately, so be ready for that.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:20 PM
Spike

I took my first buck from the ground. I set up so the deer walked just past me before I could see it, then it didn't see me draw. It makes for a slight quartering shot, which isn't optimal, but worked out perfectly.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:27 PM
Site Buck Guru

This will be the start of my 40th deer season. When I started, no one hunted out of a tree, as far as we knew. I took a couple on the ground, first when I was 12. After about three years, I started hunting from a tree. It is my main method of hunting. It is great fun hunting them on the ground. For me there are two methods of hunting on the ground. Ground blind and stalking. Personally, I think it would be most rewarding to have stalked your deer. I've never done it. Ground blinds I have. Every once and a while I love trying to stalk. My problem is that I'm too impatient, I'm working on that! But it's fun.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:36 PM

I have both treestands and blinds. I like both and often use the blinds if the weather calls for it or there was a good soaking the night before and I don't feel like sitting or slipping on a wet tree stand. I also like blinds for quick evening hunts so I can slip in and out of prime areas quietly and without a lot of noticeable moments. The only problem I've found with ground blinds is that you lose some light for the last 15 minutes or so of shooting time - especially in the woods - because they are so dark inside. So I have the mesh window lowered and use a pin light that illuminates my pin.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:46 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: chucker34

... The only problem I've found with ground blinds is that you lose some light for the last 15 minutes or so of shooting time - especially in the woods - because they are so dark inside. So I have the mesh window lowered and use a pin light that illuminates my pin.
Now that's a good tip!
Old 09-27-2006, 03:53 PM

I only hunt from the ground. I only use natural blinds to. I find the best is if you sit behind a bush or tree with a bunch of branches sticking out and an area just big enough to shoot out of. It works great for me. Only been busted once while doing that and that's because I tried pulling back while a deer was looking at me(I was impatient).
Old 09-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Every once and a while I love trying to stalk. My problem is that I'm too impatient, I'm working on that! But it's fun.
That's the ultimate in hunting IMO. Successfully stalking and harvesting a whitetail with a bow. I've done it a few times in standing corn.Go on a nice wet somewhat windyday touse to your advantage.
I've killed several deer from the ground too. My biggest was a 120" 8 pointer about 7 yards from me. Like others have said a lot of the rules change when you're hunting on the ground. Obviously wind and scent control being number one. Knowing the only split second possible moments you have to move is another one. Sometimes it takes several small movements at the right times before fully getting in postion for a shot. You really have to play the deer and watch it's every breath.
I hunt 85% of the time from stands now, but man that other 15% is a rush! Nothing like being on their level.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Site Buck Guru

I've tried hunting corn, it's fun too. However, the fields are being planted much more dense these days. My farmer buddy told me that from 20 years ago to today, the same field is yeilding double what it was. Makes it hard to get through.