Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting from the ground

Old 09-25-2006, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting from the ground

This is my first year hunting from a treestand. I have taken many deer from the ground. I usually put my back up against a tree and build somewhat of a ground blind. I set up behind a split tree because the deer were coming from the west. I set out to hunt with a west wind that was perfect. To the east was nothing to cover me but a wide open view for 30 yards. Guess where the deer came from. Exactly from the east and I thought I was busted. The wind was blowing right at him, there was no cover to hide me. I turned around on my knees when his head was down and he started walking straight for me. At 20 yards he looked back at the other buck that was following him. I drew and he started walking towards me again. At about 14 yards he turned and went behind a tree. He came out at about 11 yards and I let him have it through the shoulder with the magnus stinger. He spun around and went 15 yards before falling.

I love hunting from the ground because I can pretty much set up anywhere I want. I do like my new treestand though. I love the view from up above. You can see a ton up there.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have taken 5 buck off the ground with the bow with out a blind.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot one deer on the ground, while walking to my stand i kicked up some deer. one happeneed to walk by me. it was awesome!!! more of a rush then when in a tree.

Last weekend was about the first time I planned on hunting from the ground. i sat in front of a small tree about 5 yards off an alfalfa field. had 2 fawns walk within five yards of me! the SECOND they got down wind of me they knew winded me.It was kind of chilly and i could see my breath. I could see my breath heading for them, it was really neet to see. as alarmed as they were they just kept looking at me and sniffing me. easily, easily within5 yards, probably 7-8 feet away from me! it was one of the most exciting hunts i've ever had, and there were no antlers to be seen anywhere, and I didn't even draw back! they ended up getting spooked and coming right back after dark. two more fawns came within 20 yards, then the original 2 came back at dark. dumb fawns.

I'll definitely hunt from the ground again. sometimes there just aren't trees around good spots. I learned real quickly that you have to be twice as quiest and as still as can be. very very fun!!
Old 09-25-2006, 09:57 PM

Def. works and you can gain an advantage by hunting from the ground because you can play the wind perfectly and adjust your setup. You do have to be extra careful about movement and scent, but it is a heart pounding experience. In the last two weeks, I've had about 8 to 10 antlered deer within 40 yards of me while I was on the ground. Had a small 9 pter walk about 5 yards away.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:17 PM

Hunted from a tree stand once and didn't enjoy it, then it got stolen so that was the last time I will ever use one. Have taken a deer every year since I started hunting off the ground(natural blind). I have sat in solid white and solid orange and have had deer within 10 yrds of me and not pick me out. Its all about playing the wind and not moving and make sure before you settle that you have spot that allows you to draw without the deer seeing you and clear all leaves and debrie out of your spot so if you have to move you can do it silently. I just got back from a bear hunt to night(off the ground) 18yrds from the bait(legal here in Saskatchewan, Canada) now thats a rush when a bear comes in. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:10 PM

Piebalddoe,
Over here in New Zealand about 90% of our hunting is done from the ground and it certainly has its moments. It is most important to keep the wind in your favour, be very quiet in your movements and be very very aware as you tend to spook a lot of deer. But having said that, we have large amounts of deer so you always get a chance of harvesting one. I don't think camo gear is super important but the most important thing is to make sure that the clothing you intend on hunting in is washed in a scent free, UV free solution. When it all comes together its just the greatest feeling. Give it a go, you may surprise yourself how enjoyable it is getting so close at the same level as your prey. Happy hunting.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:38 AM

I took my first deer from the ground a 20 yrd shot Then did it again bad shot hit shoulder blade but it also was on the ground 20 yrd ,
The best way is to find what your deer are doing and Find a good tree my Favorit are big Pine spruce I think you know the ones with long low hanging branches Both of mine were in that kind of tree I use dirt wafers , with those branches you can make shooting lanes and you'll have plenty of cover Always move very slow It's harder but so much more rewarding I think anyways. Good luck hope it works out for ya
Old 09-27-2006, 06:08 AM

I have taken 5 or 6 115-124 P&Y bucks from the ground. I hunt from big clumps of ragweed or johnson grass. I simply step down a shooting lane that crosses a heavily used trail. I sit perfectly still on a hunting stool and wait. I usually hunt an area that I know bucks are using daily. I try to make sure there is thick cover on the down wind side so they won't be able to get down wind of me. I have taken shots from 15 yards up to 40. I have been busted dozens of times, but only by does with fawns. The bucks don't ever notice me. I use a 3d bug suit to helpblend.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:57 AM

I haven't personally hunted a lot from the ground... just on my way too and from my stand. I have kicked up a ton of deer right in the corner of the field where I park my truck, so I've taken some "time outs" on the way to my stand to sit on a log for a while, but never spent an entire hunt on the ground.

My father in law does a lot of hunting from the ground, when he hunts state land in Michigan, that's all he does, and in fact I will be doing the same thing this winter, for the first time.

Hubby had a doe at 20 yds last year when he was hunting from the ground.

I suppose I will probably have to hunt from the ground most of this year as I am now entering my 7th month of pregnancy, I just don't think I am going to have the balance for, or feel much like climbing in and out of the treestand here in a few weeks!

Old 09-27-2006, 02:15 PM

I was intending to try it tonight.

I have seen deer feeding in a stripped out corn field. I'm going to try to build a make shift blind in the corn 10 yards from the edge, and sit there til the deer come out. They are in that field every night when I walk out of the woods. They are too far from the woods to ambush them. I have to try something. If nothing else, I hop to see where they are coming into the field from.

Quick Reply: Hunting from the ground

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.