Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Climber (for strictly bowhunting)

Old 09-25-2006, 07:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Default New Climber (for strictly bowhunting)

I need a new climber. My son is using our Viper.....and I need one for special occasions. I want:

1) comfort
2) rail (hey....I've been known to get in there early and nap) and I think someone makes one that the rail will drop down on.
3) adjustable to tree when at desired height
4) quiet set-up & ease of set-up

Does such an animal exist???

Thanks.

Jeff
Old 09-25-2006, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New Climber (for strictly bowhunting)

Check out the Lone Wolf Alpha Lite climbers I heard they are the best on the market now.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:04 AM
Spike

I use a Summit Broadhead Backpacker excellent stand. It fold's flat, easy to carry and it dosen't have the rail to get in the way and is very secure.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:06 AM

I like Ol' Man climbing stands. You can also check out Gorilla stands. They are almost exactly like the O'l Man stands. They are very safe and comfortable.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

i think you just described the viper! lol...im a littttle biased..its the only stand ive used, but im in love. my first time using it i had no troubles at alli figured it would be a little bit complicated but it wasnt. and i find it comfortable
Old 09-25-2006, 10:09 AM

I agree. I would just buy another viper.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:23 AM

summit razor seems to have all the options you want. I dont have one but might get one I want to hear from some one who has one before I get one.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.northstarrtreestands.com/Forest-TreeCat-Archer.html

Almost got this thing down enough to use. There isn't a perfect stand out there, this one isn't either, but it will do what you asked. I've worked hard at finding a way to pack it and set it up so that when in the dark I can do it. Stripped some strapsoff, one being the strap that holds your feet, you can slide them under the rails and climb. Usingsome bungees to hold it together and working on the best way to have the seat for different times (packing, set-up, climbing, and setting. One more thing I'm thinking of doing is taking a shop ergo mat and cutting a piece out of it for the base. Will keep my feet warm and quiet while at the same time come between the base and seat when packed. I camoed it up more and camo taped all the metal buckles on the back packing straps.

While on my back I can reach up at the top, swing it off my back in one motion and against the base of a tree. The seat facing me. Undo the bungees and pull the belt out, flip it around the tree and lift it in place. The base is done the same way except there is a bungee attached to one side of the belt. I release the gripper by squeezing it and pull it out several inches. Release the gripper and it's preloaded. I'm ready to climb after attaching my quiver (hip) and ropes. The grippers are not all that easy to squeeze after you have put weight on them, but I can do it one handed. It is a sit and climb (the bar does swing down under the seat out of the way, it doesn't however fix it self in an position positively. Some thing would have to be added for that or I believe the hunter version does have a fixed bar, I've hit my bar shooting my 37.5" ata bow) as well as stand. I sit to release the gripper,lift the base and the bungee does the rest. The seat is done easily and without a bungee, just squeeze it and push it in. It will do what it claims, quietly. I still make some noise climbing, but that's in how I am doing it and just needs a little more work on being more deliberate in how I settle it on the tree.

I really like how it's permanently fixed to the tree, very easy. It's done with 3/8 climbing rope and mine is showing some very minor wear so it's an issue to keep an eye on. If you climb the same size tree all the time the rope would attach in the same spot all the timeand wear more quickly. Doubt that will be the case and a rope would easily make it through several seasons. I think I might change and inspect things every season though.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:42 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-25-2006, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

gorilla (ol man)

Quick Reply: New Climber (for strictly bowhunting)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.