Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Climber (for strictly bowhunting)

Old 09-25-2006, 06:58 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-25-2006, 07:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New Climber (for strictly bowhunting)

ORIGINAL: MichaelT.

I like Ol' Man climbing stands. You can also check out Gorilla stands. They are almost exactly like the O'l Man stands. They are very safe and comfortable.
Highly recommend these as well. After buying, not liking and selling a Summit, I love the Ol'man/Gorilla line of climbers, the mesh seat is as comfortable as any and like you, I'm a napper and I'm safe in the Ol'man.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Spike

I'd go with Lonewolf Alpha sit and climb. I installed a summit seat on my Lonewolf climber and it's much more comfortable for those long sits.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

my pre-china API has a rail that drops for bowhunting, and the foot rest can become a gun rest too...best of both worlds.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Fork Horn

i love the loggy (old style) but its loud if useing the climbing aid. i just grab the tree. i bought a newer one thougha dn my dad got the sit and climb style one. get ready to kill yourself in one of these things. like most of the newer stands it uses a hard plastic band and it slides on the tree like crazy. only stands ive seen that id buy are the lone wolf or this one cheap stand at wal-mart with a soft rubber gripper but its like 20lbs. for now im sticking with my 14yrd old loggy and ill be buying my wife a lone wolf cause she needs the climbing aid and that this is loud and clunky.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:52 PM
Fork Horn

Id deff buy another viper. I love mine
Old 09-26-2006, 04:57 AM
Typical Buck

I have the equalizer and love it. The seat is not the best for long sits, but I took the sling seat off of my API and put in on the equalizer and it's much more comfortable. Being able to adjust to the size of the tree as you go up is a huge bonus.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:29 AM
Dominant Buck

I appreciate your replies, honestly.

Summit has a new stand out....the bullet backpacker....that folds down flat for better packing/storing. It DOES have a rail....but I KNOW I like the Summit stands for comfort (I hunted almost exclusively out of my viper, last season).....and I'll probably feel better with it there during nappy-poo times.

Cabela's had these on sale for $219.00. I ALWAYS go to my bow shop.....before ordering anything. With shipping I was looking at $238 from Cabela's. I bought it from my bow shop for $250 (incl. tax). I'm happy....and Greg made a few bucks.

Again...I appreciate all of your help. I do value your opinions.

Jeff