Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

why is everyone talking about how far they can shoot

Old 09-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: why is everyone talking about how far they can shoot

I got into archerybecause I wanted to get close to my prey.
I don't see a problem practicing at longer yardages.....just kind of takes the fun out of it if you are going to shoot an animal at 50 + yards. If I wanted to do that I would just wait until gun season.

Reminds me to think of the Archers Prayer.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think someone already mentioned this but if you wanna shoot a deer 50 yards away shoot it with a gun. No sence in trying to take a animal 50 yards away and wounding it. I have 1 pin "crosshair" and i go from there. I dont want to shoot further then 20 yards and i dont ever think about doing that. Like i said i like to be around 5 yards away its better experience and you have to be alot quieter and have less movement than you do at 30 yards or so. I'm not trying to be cocky or anything but i dont see why anyone would want to shoot a deer that far out really.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel the same way, i hunt deep woods and 20 yards is about the maxx distance in any of my locations/stands. But if the opportunity presents its self where i think i might not see this MONSTER again....Im gonna be damn ready toKILL@35. I think 50 yards is a rediculous shot with a bow while hunting..... at least whitetails.
Too each his own.....
Old 09-23-2006, 09:18 PM

ORIGINAL: tkycaller

I had to try it for myself tonite.
I went to fifty and shot three arrows, not bad considering I just guessed at where the pin should be. I was shooting at a mckenzie deer and had all three from fifty in the kill zone. About a five inch group.Then at twenty all three were touching vanes in the heart!
I will now start shooting farther to increase my concentration.
Like they say on the Walker game ear commercials It worked for me....LOL
HAHA awesome tky, its weird hey but it works. I took practicing skills like this a bit in college in a motor learning class. We did an experiement in a lab once tossing bean bags at a target, then varied the distance, then returned to the first distance. Our results were similar to what you found. Its just how we are wired.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:55 AM

Same her the Impressive Hunter is the one who can be 15 to 20 yards and can make the shot with No noise or smell If you want to shoot 100 yrds well Riffles are made for that lol
Old 09-24-2006, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

You short distance shooters need to come out west and hunt antelope with your 20 and 30 yards pins and see how many shots ya get!
Old 09-24-2006, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've taken atwo deer outat 50yds. 0ne at 45. 2 at 40. 3 at 35.

Several at 30.

But most of the deer I've taken were at 25 or less.

One thing that I've noticed is, that deer are way more likely to jump the string( duck the arrow)on those close shots, creating high hits or even misses. On those far shots they don't.

It is like someone jumping out at you, in the dark and saying BOO! If they do it from far away, it doesn't make you jump. That's how it works with deer.

My bow is a vintage 1996 Proline Mountain Bow. I see these modern bows shooting over 300 fps and guys are limiting themselves to 20 yd shots. With a 300fps bow. They should shoot pretty darn flat out to almost 30 yds.

I understand wanting the feeling, that you used your skill, getting close. I have no arguement with that. But I pride myself in having the skill to take a deer at longer range with a limited range weapon.

Either way you look at it, it takes some sort of skill. It just boils down to which skill you take more pride in.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

anyone have any suggestions as to how to keep steady when shootin long range w/ a bow?at 40 and 50 yards my pin is bouncin all around. idk if im just tired from shootin so much or what but ive already put a couple over the target and into the shed
Old 09-24-2006, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try this,

Concentrate your vision on the target.

Let the sight pin become blurry.

When you release, try to keep the pin on the target until you hear the arrow's impact. Don't try to watch the arrow fly. Don't become concerned about where the arrow hit until you go to retrieve your arrows.

Once you notice you missed, most people become concerned and fall into the trap of watching their arrows fly or want to see where they hit. Then they really start doing bad.

What they don't realize is, they are moving the bow to the side or dropping their bow arm at the instant they release. This causes misses. I believe a few guys tried some long range shooting and noticed they had trouble and decided they weren't going to shoot that far and just went back to 20 yds. and stayed there. They lost confidence in their ability and quit the long range stuff. If they just stayed with it as a few of us did, they'd notice a big difference in time.

This is where practicing at long range has its benefits. It teaches you you have good form and to concentrate more. It teaches you follow through.( some don't believe in follow through, but I do)
If you don't, you miss by alot. All this isn't noticed at 20 yds, but move back to 40 or 50 and you will know when you didn't do it right. If you practice at 40 or 50 for a solid week then move up to 20, you will see the greatest difference in your shooting ability. Now, just imagine practicing at 50 for a solid month. Shooting long range teaches you quickly what you are doing wrong.

I just wish some of the guys on here would try that long range practice for a few days. No 20 or 30 yd. practice, but only 40 and 50. Try tghis for just a day or 2 and then move back up to 20 and see what you notice.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

thnx windwalker im gonna try that tonight after im done talkin to my neighbor about hunting on his property. should i always focus on the target and not the pin even at 15 or 20 yds? sry ... i know i ask a lotta questions lol

Quick Reply: why is everyone talking about how far they can shoot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.