Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My 1st time bowhunting!!!

Old 09-25-2006, 11:35 AM

Default RE: My 1st time bowhunting!!!

Great story..
Old 09-25-2006, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

I remember m first exciting time like that, those are the memories right there bud, never forget the feeling. learn from it as well, exciting stuff.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:47 AM

I have made those long hikes your talking about, not alot of fun but nobody hunts them so could be good hunting. Might want to keep that area for the rut. I usually hunt somewhere close in the AM then hunt the far off spot for the afternoon, walkin in the day time goes alot easier when you can look around and watch nature as you walk. Long walks in the dark with nothing but a pale pen light get old quick. I would suggest taking a buddy along on the days you hunt back there just in case somehting should happen or you get lucky he can help drag it out. 2 people with dragging harness will make the job alot easier, unless you have one of those fancy deer carts available. I hunt WMA's for turkey season and I try to walk as far as I can to get to some less pressured birds hoping others are not as dedicated as I am. If you waited till cold weather I guess you can bring some rope and clean the deer and pack it out if you are too far back for dragging. Good luck and be careful back there.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

Next time your find yourself in a stare down, close your eyes to just slits, and maybe turn your face away. I works for me sometimes. Act uninterested in the deer, and they may think you are...
Old 09-25-2006, 02:56 PM
Typical Buck

I was just like you this past weekend. I had a slim chance at taking a shot at a nice buck. Unfortunately he was standing behind some bushes and never offered me an ethical shot. I passed on him hoping to see him later on this season.

The first year of bowhunting is quite a rush. This is my first year and took a turkey this spring and am looking forward to my first deer with a bow. Hopefully it happens soon.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: pastorkhris

Great story - and good lessons - if she is looking at you DON'T MOVE you will never get away with it!!!!
Exactly. All she needs to see is movement to cause her to bolt. Set still and dont move, when she looks away, dont move, she will most likely look back a few times just to make sure. When she goes about eating or looking in the opposite direction, then get ready.