Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooter? 6 point freak

Old 09-22-2006, 11:45 AM

Default shooter? 6 point freak

How old do you think this deer is? Do you think he will be any bigger next year or should I set my sights on taking him now? His rack is definitely different from any other I’ve ever seen. He came out to my stand last Saturday afternoon but I was hunting with a friend. If he gets even bigger next year and keeps that same style rack, I’ll have do a pedestal mount so he won’t hit the ceiling! Let me hear what you think.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shooter? 6 point freak

Very tall, thats for sure. I don't know if I'd shot him or not. He might be a really nice one next year.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's up to you. But, if it was ME, I'd let him walk this year. His rack is pretty high, but I don't think he's anywhere near his potential yet. The thickness and width of his rack are tip-offs that he's got some growing to do. As I said, you can do whatever you choose. I'd wait.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:54 AM

Wait til next year.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

I would say he is about 2 1/2 and I would shoot him to get him out of the herd, BAD genetics...in my opinion....
Old 09-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

Next year's monster.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:07 PM

ORIGINAL: -DeerSlayer-

I would say he is about 2 1/2 and I would shoot him to get him out of the herd, BAD genetics...in my opinion....
I'm with Slayer. This is a prime example of a cull buck. If you get a shot and have a tag for him, I'd shoot him just to get him out of the herd.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:09 PM

I agree that he would be a good cull buck. If I had the opportunity I would take him.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:13 PM

Age is the key factor in growing big racks but it depends on the area you're in. Where I grew up in upstate NY a buck was lucky (or smart) to be able to see his 3rd year. If he's not going to have the opportunity to reach his full potential at say 5 1/2 years, at which time he'd probably be a real nice buck, then you may want to capitalize on your oppotunities at him. It comes down to a personal decision and the choice is competely yours.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

If that deer is, in fact, a 2.5 year old deer. What about him makes you say that he has bad genetics. Seems to me that if he is that young and the rack is already that tall with a symetrical 6 points he has pretty darn good genetics.

If you are wanting trophy deer I'd let him walk and see what he looks like next year.

Quick Reply: shooter? 6 point freak

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.