Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooter? 6 point freak

Old 09-22-2006, 12:20 PM

Default RE: shooter? 6 point freak

I'd give himi another year

Tim

Old 09-22-2006, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well..I'll let you know, cuz I let the opposite of this deer walk last year. He was a freakishly wide 6 point. And I saw him very well at 5 yards froma ground stand (in my scent lok I might add)! He walked past me in my shooting lane at 15 yards to a cut corn field. I had a doe decoy in the cut corn. The decoy spooked the crap out of him and he ran to 5 yards and stood there just staring at the decoy. He was broadside and his head was turned directly away from me. I though man, as an 8 pt, with another year he'd be awesome. Time will tell!
Old 09-22-2006, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

HARRY HIGH HAT, cool pics. only thing i can tell ya. if it makes you happy, then yes shoot him. if you get to take two bucks in your state you could always concentrate on a bigger one with second tag. follow your heart and have fun no mater what decision you make.
Dan
Old 09-22-2006, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

any buck is a shooter in my book
Old 09-22-2006, 01:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

2.5 and I'd give him another year depending.

He might only be a six again but will develope mass and perhaps kickers.

When people talk of bad genetics, they are possibly talking antler makeup however, he's a big healthy deer and will sport much more antler when left to grow them. Will he pass on 6pt characteristics, probably not so do what you feel is best.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even though he is young, he seems to have poor genetics. I'd still let me go at least another year or two, until he's a fully matured buck. Then make the choice. If he has a neat looking rack now, in 2 years, he'll be even that much better. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would take him out no matter how old he is , with that high basket rackmight not get much bigger than he right now.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

You may not be aorund next year to take him. Shoot him the first time you see him, he may leave your land by next year or even this year. Bust a cap or let the carbon fly...
Old 09-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Trophy is only a tropy to who shoots it. I could care less about head gear (not to say I dont appreciate a nice rack, what warm blooded male doesnt), if its a thick deer, it will fill the freezer.

Now dont get me wrong, Id probably wait if I had the time. If I was pressed, he would be in the freezer.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

If he is 2 1/2 then I say take him, I have always read that a 2 1/2 year old deer should have at least 8 points if he is ever going to reach monster status (and even then there is some question). I believe that any deer over 1 1/2 that has not produced at least 8 points or a very interesting non-typical rack should be taken.

Quick Reply: shooter? 6 point freak

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.