Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Entry and exit routes to your stand

Old 09-21-2006, 05:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Entry and exit routes to your stand

If you had to walk through an open field (surrounded by woods) to get to your stand would you?

a: walk through the middle of the field far away from the woodline so you don't take the chance of spooking deer that may be bedded just inside the woods. Knowing you're standing out like a sore thumb.

b: walk along the edge of the woods to camoflauge yourself better so deer don't see you walking through the middle of the field. Knowing you're taking a chance at spooking deer on your way to your stand.

(assume the wind has no bearing on either)
Old 09-21-2006, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Entry and exit routes to your stand

I would walk the edge of the field, not in the middle of it.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I generally walk along the woods. I don't know if its the right thing to do or not. I only have one stand affected by this and may try the open some this year.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:55 AM

depends on if we are talking going in the morning in the dark or afternoon when it is light out.
In the morning the deer may be in the field feeding so I wouldn't go walking across it.
Going in later in the day for an afternoon hunt, the deer will be in the woods so I would stay as far away from the woods as possible.

Morning, go thru the woods if you can
Afternoon go thru the field being as careful as you can not to be real visible
Old 09-21-2006, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you have an idea where the deer are go to the far side, if they are on either side take the middle. I generally do a diaganal to my stand with a drag. That way every deer that goes across that field has a chance to smell it and come my way if they are interested. I just havn't figured out how to get them to make the right turn. Sometimes they will go the wrong direction and head towards my truck.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Motown, that's an intresting point you bring up about the direction they will go after crossing the scent trail!
Old 09-21-2006, 06:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

It would depend on time of day headed to the stand. If it's morning before light, absolutely not. I have a trail from parking to treestand through the woods. For years I've walked this same path and trim it every year on my way in with a pair of pruners. It makes for a quick, quiet entrance and exit. Over the years, deer have actually started using it too. I wear rubber boot because I have to cross a small stream about 100 yards from my stand that helps wash away scent. I also spray down. I've had mature bucks cross my track without detection.

In the afternoon hunt, I may very well cross the field with a drag rag. I only use either curiosity scents or buck related scents if any. Again, scentless as possible and at an angle if a deer does detect my scent, it's alread too late for them.

Leaving the stand, it's always through the woods again. I rarely expose myself in the open if there is a chance that a deer is around.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think entry/exit routes are possibly the #1 thing people mess up and get lazy with.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:06 AM
Typical Buck

i like walking the woodline instead of being in the open.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would walk along the tree line. I hunt on a trail that leads right into an open wheat field. There have been several times when the deer have already been out on the wheat field when I got out there. They had to have been there all night, as I normally get to my stand a good hour before first light.