Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
1 eye open
47.20%
2 eyes open
52.80%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Do you shoot with 1 eye open, or both open?

Old 09-20-2006, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Do you shoot with 1 eye open, or both open?

Well statjunk, i'v always shotwith both eyes open, and both of your eyes dont need to be focusedexactly the same. Try shooting with both open and, depending wether youra right hand or left hand shooter, justfocus your sight eye to your sights, you really dont have to see great detail with your other eye. With both eyes open, youhave more visability of your target, which ultimatly will help you make a better shot.

Good luck!
Old 09-20-2006, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am working on both eyes open...my left eye is a little more dominant, and so I have to squint that one and slowly open it back up...
Old 09-20-2006, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Both eyes open.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:34 AM

Both eyes open.

Someone already mentioned it but when you squint, you tighten the muscles in your face. This distorts the shape of your eye which makes it harder to focus.

Using both eyes lets you aquire the target faster.

You need both eyes open in order to judge distance.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:08 AM
Dominant Buck

I shoot lots of trad bows, so its a must to keep both eyes open. I also run a science dept. so im always looking in microscopes, so its just second nature to me. I dont even know if I could shoot with one eye open.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JimPic

I shoot my bows,shotguns and scoped rifles with both eyes open.You lose your depth perception with one eye closed.

Hi Jim,
I've tried it and have had a hard time shooting with both eyes open.
Question: Why do you need depth perception when shooting through a scoped rifle? I'm not sure you need it with a bow either once you have your yardage

Old 09-20-2006, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: RDHunter

I was taught to use one eye and I always did , now I'll close one eye to aim but once I have my target sighted in I'll shoot with both eyes wide open to follow thru.
The same way i do it. I draw back with my left eye closed and once i anchor i open it. I just feel my anchor point with one eye closed better. Dont know why.lol...
Old 09-20-2006, 08:57 AM

You guys that are shooting right-handed bows and have the arrow fly 2' or so to the left with both eyes open are definitely left-eye dominant. I'm in the same boat and have ordered a left-handed bow so that I can try and make the switch to shooting with both eyes open over the winter. I hunt in a pop-up blind in the woods, so being able to see better in low-light is a big deal for me. Once I'm comfortable with the new bow, I'm planning on dropping my peep site and installing a No Peep to really help with low-light conditions.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:26 AM

with the compound it depends on the light conditions but in less light I use both and with plenyfull light and a open shot I focus with one. With the ol' recurve always two eyes open

Tim
Old 09-20-2006, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kshunter

I've been shooting 1 eye, my whole life. But this year, I made a switch and tried 2 eyes. It's made me a better shooter. All I can say to give it a try.
i have to agree, ive been shooting 1 eye open, but ever since i switched, i have been able to group better from further distances.

Quick Reply: Do you shoot with 1 eye open, or both open?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.