Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Carbon arrow just blew up on me!!!!!

Old 09-19-2006, 10:57 PM

Default RE: Carbon arrow just blew up on me!!!!!

Wow, glad to hear you are alright. I have seen this happen to a couple of guys that I know. Neither of them were hurt but, their bows were. It put a small crack in the top limb on both. Check your bow out really good, make sure she is alright. The A/C/C is a really good idea.

skeeter
Old 09-20-2006, 12:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some Beeman and Carbon Extreme arrows are notorious for this. They fracture in the inside and will often snap when they hit the target, but in some cases they let go when released. You are very lucky.[:-]
Old 09-20-2006, 05:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had the same arrow break on me. I now check them every shot! Mine wasn't as bad as yours but scary non-the-less. I know I shoot with safety glasses on now!

What's the saying for carbons..bend'em before you send'em??
Old 09-20-2006, 05:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Glad you didn't get hurt! I shoot "old school" aluminums (xx75s) and never worry about these things, it's peace of mind.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear your ok, that some scrary stuff there.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:52 AM

I am glad that you are ok....
Scary [&:]
Old 09-20-2006, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Glad you are ok. I think thats the only thing about an all carbon shaft, its harder to detect a split sometimes. Aluminum can blow up too though.......I saw one blow up halfway to the target, but both guys were shooting aluminum arrows way to light and underspined as they were trying to see who had the fastest bow as they were shooting through a chronograph and kept upping the poundage on their bows.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:06 AM

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

Glad you're okay. The same thing happened to me this summer with a Carbon Express CX 300. Scared the crap out of me!
I had the same thing happen to me last year with that arrow as well. Shot my sight out, but luckily I wasn't hurt. Shook me up pretty good to.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad you are o.k. Don't let this "bug" you. I've shot ACC's for years. IMO, they are the best compromise, but somewhat pricey. Well, that's ok, if I had your $ I could burn mine. LOL
Old 09-20-2006, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

HCH - I had a Beman ICS blow up on me once. Like you, I was lucky and didn't get hurt.

It was actually during bow season when the ICS carbon wrap arrows first came out (maybe 6-8 years ago). I drew on a buck and let him walk into a clearing at about 10 yards - when I hit the release, I just heard a loud snap, and it felt like my bow dry-fired.

I was looking to figure out what happened when I saw what was left of my white feathered cresting fluttering down out of the air, maybe 10-15 yards out. I never did find the other half of the arrow (the broadhead half), but I was able to recover the nock end. It looks like mine broke about the same point as yours, just forward of the front of the feathers. It was a fairly clean break, but that was scary.

I scrapped the rest of the dozen and went back to heavy aluminums, which were also en vogue at the time.

Finally, about four years ago, I regained the courage to go back to carbon arrows - Gold Tip XT - which have performed flawlessly.

I will never shoot a beman arrow again, and that buck should send a personal Thank-You letter to the good people at Beman.

Quick Reply: Carbon arrow just blew up on me!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.