Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

dont try this at home....

Old 09-19-2006, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default dont try this at home....

so yesterday i was doing a little shooting and getting all the gear ready to go. season starts next weekend..i dont wanna be scrambling this weekend(i goto college and am home to work/hunt on weekends) so while i had my bow out i was like hmmm what happens if my release breaks or something and a bigole buck walks by? soooo i take the release off....draw back my practice broadhead arrow. i was close..like 5yds away. i released..HEY! that was awesome!. felt 100% diffrent....maybe because my drawlegnth was shortend or something but it felt WAY diffrent..there was a recoil and such i never felt before. i was shooting good..just a bit low. so i was like hey that aint bad....lets see how i do at 15yds. draw...release...WHACK. UHTOH[] my haybale backstops sit up on pallets. i sent a muzzy right into one. it hit right about dead center of one of the planks and the support board.

i AM pleased to say that penetration was excellent. the 3 blade 100gr muzzy sunk in the whole way..only stopped because it hit the nail holding the plank on! i pulled up the plank and pulled out the head. the blade that hit the nail cracked....but the head in general was in alright shape. i was surprised. hitting a thick nail at 260fps and the blade cracked. that seems like duribility to me!

now i know thatmy heads are prettty dang durible. and if my release breaks in the woods i might as well go buy a new one....shooting fingers is dangerous without the proper knowledge and tools! glad i atleast hit something though....dont need a muzzy making it OUT of my backyard.

figured id pass it along so noone else trys to shoot fingers....
Old 09-19-2006, 10:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: dont try this at home....

It is very difficult to shoot a bow set up for a release, using fingers. When you do, put all three fingers or so below the arrow, don't split it. I have several releases and I have backup in my pack.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

well i was on the right lines lol...i put all 3 below the arrow..just shoots LOW. lesson learned. the thing that made me try it was dirt or fuzz in my release..it was still functional but when id pull the trigger(when i wasnt shooting) i could feel something. i blew in the cracks and it came out. a new release is in order for next year. that way ill have a backup..wouldnt surprise me to have one break or gum up terribly right when a whopper stood there lol. i also noticed why they say "finger bows" are longer. the sting pinch on my 36 inch bow was pretty bad. oh well lesson learned and the arrow stayed in my yard. and i now have even MORE faith in my muzzys
Old 09-19-2006, 02:42 PM

Mauser06

Not funny, but still made me snicker. I was the great bowhunter several years ago who knew he could hit something even without his release. When I shot my bow I almost let my fingers go with the arrow, still don't know how, and my arrow easton xx75 glanced off of a cinder block somewhere remotely close to my target and took arch up into the sky and out into the woods next to my home. Went out looking and found the arrow, with the great big bend in it. Decided my name was not fred bear after all. Never shot without a release again. Lesson learned. SMILE.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

lol...see i wasnt the only one with the story and results!

goes to show you how good you gota be to shoot fingers. and how much diffrence releases really make! hopefully our stories keep others from trying. its very possible. but you gota have the right gear and know how to execute a shot with fingers.