Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thick as a Brick

Old 09-19-2006, 04:50 AM

Default Thick as a Brick

I have been scouting on what will be my primary hunting grounds this year. It is public land and they don't allow anyone back there until mid september.

I found this place last year in mid November. Missed the rut. However, it turned out to be quite a honey hole and not too crowded.

The problem is that the vegitation is SO THICK now that access to my favorite areas are almost inaccesssible. I am not lying when I say that the goldenrod and grass is 7 feet tall! And swampy as all hell. Deer trails are very hard to see and most of them are dead ends (is thi strange?). I would like to go out there with a jungle bollo, but cutting is not allowed.

I found a few primary trails and one of them looks like a perverbial expressway; very matted down with footprints and poop all allong it, but getting to it in the dark, let alone in mid daylight will be a bitch and a half.

I don't know what advice anyone could offer; I just needed to gripe out loud. I guess I'll have to wait until the first frost, but that should make everything brown and dead and 10 times as noisy.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Thick as a Brick

bjanakos, if it's public land why can't you go in until mid Sept?
Old 09-19-2006, 05:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yea what he said, public land should be open all year round. I know it is in Wi.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:24 AM

It's owned and operated by the IL. DNR. I haved asked and they say they want to provide "Sanctuary" for the animals after the season. They also open up other areas for turkey, pheasant, geese, ducks, etc. There is almost always something going on over there and its just not safe to scout.

On the other hand, I take my hat off to the folks who run this place. The biologist does a great job making sure that all the game and fish are in the best condition. They go out of their way provide a quality hunting/fishing habitat for folks like me who do not have private land.

They open and close several areas every year in a rotating fashion. The Biologist told me that this will keep the population on the property. I guess if the game can run to a "Sanctuary," it will lesen the chances of them running to the next county.

This area also serves as a headquarters for the Conservation Police. One better mind their P's & Q's when they are hunting/fishing here! They are also heplful and always answer my questions if I am not clear on a law, rule, or regulation. If they don't know the answere, they always find out and get back to me quickly.