Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is your idea of a good solid shooter buck?

Old 09-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What is your idea of a good solid shooter buck?

It really depends on where I'm hunting, how much time I've got and time of the year. It can be anything from more than spikes to a heavy boned 8 point or above. For example, I usually bow hunt public land a couple days before the NY Southern Tier shotgun comes in. A little 4 pointer better watch out as it's the last opportunity to fill the tag and my buddy that doesn't bow huntwants the meat. And on the other hand, I'm going to Ohio and Indiana just before that to hunt some private farm land. It'll have to be a big heavy horned rascal or I'm not filling the tag. Last time there I passed up 3 bucks, including anice 8 point(but not enough mass)the last afternoon just before dark at 12 yards. They're all shooters to me in the right place.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

3.5 years or older and any adult doe.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't understand the idea that several of your standards to shoot are any buck and an adult doe. Why shoot an immature buck, but the doe has to be an adult? How about changing it to any doe and an adult buck?
I know that in my area the bowhunter mentality is that anydeer with a bow is a trophy. That mentality is hurting a lot of people's chances to hunt on very good private land as some landowners (farmers) often only gun hunt and would like to keep the young bucks alive, yet here comes the bowhunter to show off his "trophy" 6 point rather than taking a "trophy" doe.
It reminds me of a Drury outdoors show I saw recently. The hunters were welcomed onto a ranch that was trying tocreate a qualtity deer herd and only harvest mature deer. Day one a couple of small bucks were taken. That evening the owner reminded everyone of their standardsand clarified by saying the bucks should be in the 130 range. A couple of hunters in essence said "F-that any buck is a trophy for me and no one can tell me not to harvest a small buck" and harvested small 6 and 8's. The whole crew was told to pack up and get off of the ranch. Those hunters ruined it for everyone else.
I guess what I'm saying is that unless it is your first buck or two, why not just shoot a wiley doe? Shouldn't she be just as much if not MORE of a trophy than that dumb young buck that follows in your drag scent or comes running to your rattles? AND you may be making the landowner happy.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Handles
Why shoot an immature buck, but the doe has to be an adult? How about changing it to any doe and an adult buck?
For me it's any legal buck (4pt on one side), or any doe. It's all about meat in the freezer for me. After the first one I can wait around for a more "mature" deer. If I was hunting on a managed ranch, my expectations would be different.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

Well I have passed on more than a few "decent" bucks over the last 4 seasons, and lots of smallish ones,waiting for a wall hanger quality buck. Ive taken my share of does in that time, but this season, I will take a shot any nice animal I see. Now if I get that tag filled, and get another buck tag, I will wait for a wall hanger quality deer. A decent size doe in range gets shot at though.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Handles

Why shoot an immature buck

Why not?

How about changing it to any doe and an adult buck?
Why is it OK to shoot an "immature" doe but not OK to shoot an "immature" buck?

I know that in my area the bowhunter mentality is that anydeer with a bow is a trophy. That mentality is hurting a lot of people's chances to hunt on very good private land as some landowners (farmers) often only gun hunt and would like to keep the young bucks alive, yet here comes the bowhunter to show off his "trophy" 6 point rather than taking a "trophy" doe.

So these farmers would be happy if you shot a monster instead?

Either way you took a buck from them..........what's the difference? You can't shoot them all with a bow so I would think they would be happy to see you shoot a smaller buck.........saves the big boys for them.

It reminds me of a Drury outdoors show I saw recently. The hunters were welcomed onto a ranch that was trying tocreate a qualtity deer herd and only harvest mature deer. Day one a couple of small bucks were taken. That evening the owner reminded everyone of their standardsand clarified by saying the bucks should be in the 130 range. A couple of hunters in essence said "F-that any buck is a trophy for me and no one can tell me not to harvest a small buck" and harvested small 6 and 8's. The whole crew was told to pack up and get off of the ranch. Those hunters ruined it for everyone else.
That is a matter of not following land owners rules........no different if they would have drove their truck where they weren't supposed to or entered an off limits piece of property. Ability to follow rules was the issue there.

I guess what I'm saying is that unless it is your first buck or two, why not just shoot a wiley doe? Shouldn't she be just as much if not MORE of a trophy than that dumb young buck that follows in your drag scent or comes running to your rattles?
Why is the deer considered dumb when he makes a fatal mistake and gets killed young.............but when the thousands of big bucks that make the same stupid mistakes and get killed every year............all you hear is what a wise old monarch he was and how skilled/fortunate the hunter was to pounce on his chance to kill the elusive ghost of the woods.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:56 PM

Atlas, I agree with most of the stuff you said there.

For me its any buck this year.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:16 PM

I guess it all depends what farm you are on. 2 guys I know were part of a group that got tossed off a local farm because they were just sitting around waiting on a big buck to walk by.........instead of killing DEER.......which is what the farmer wanted. He gave them all fair warning that they better start shooting some deer or he would find some guys who would. I guess they didn't listen because they got the boot.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fillae, if it is all about meat in the freezer then again why shoot a buck? As it has been said "you can't eat the horns". Granted if you are in an area where there are few deer, and herd growth is the main goal, then shooting a buck is the best decision. Your state or area has a 4pt rule, so you follow that. What if there was no restriction on antler size from the government or it was dropped, would you stay with the 4pt per side, or something more or less than that? Does the government control all of your decisions?

Atlas. I already asked the why question, if your best reply is "Why not?" and picking apart my original question/examples you must not be able to do much thinking on your own.

As for the farmers, I can't read their minds, but of the ones I've known and stories from bowhunters who aren't allowed to hunt somewhere, Yes it matters if it is a mature buck or a young one. Perhaps these hunters keep thinking about the future rather than the present.Just as they may be more inclined to take a mature hog or steer to market rather than one only half grown. Perhaps it is because their livelyhood depends on letting crops and animals reach their full potential before harvest. Maybe they have the correct view?

As for the Drury issue it wasn't that the hunters weren't able to follow the rules, it as that they chose not to. Big difference! They had a similar mentality tosome people on this forum that no one (except maybe the government) is going to tell them what to shoot. Thus back to my original question and overall concern/advise/warning to some bowhunters who are having trouble accessing high quality hunting. Perhaps a change of mindset, or asking the landowners what they expect BEFORE shooting would aid themselves and a number of other hunters. I understand that we all pay for a license and that gives us the legal right to shoot an animal, however I don't think that is the question that the original poster asked otherwise he/she would have asked "what can you legally shoot in your state?" I believe the poster was looking to see if anyone has any self imposed standards above that of the law. If you only shoot what is legal then you probably do not need to be involved in the discussion.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

my threshold goes down after the gun season. but generally i look for about 100" 8 point. i actually think of myself as raising the bar a bit each year; but actually, each of the last 3 years i've gotten 8 pointers but the score went down each time. oh well, i'm happy with how i've done.

Quick Reply: What is your idea of a good solid shooter buck?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.