Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

sharpness of broadheads

Old 09-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default sharpness of broadheads

I know this subject has been beat to death and probably especially with this broadhead..
But I was testing the sharpness of my broadheads and my Montecs will barely shave hair with quite a bit of trying unlike my Stingers.. But the Montecs fly better. No doubt they will both kill deer, I know the Montecs are noisy also but before I get off subject here..
I emailed G5 and they said to test to the broadhead using the rubber band test... 2 screws and a 2x4 and a stretched out rubber band.. If it cuts the band then it's sharp enough to hunt..
So they cut with some mild pressure.. BUT, I tried a butter knife also..
I just had too and guess what. The darn butter knife will cut the rubber band with just a little more pressure.[&:]
Does anyone else think the rubberband test is a bunch of bs.. Maybe I should buy thicker rubber bands..

I also heard it's nearly impossible to get the Montec to sharpen to shaving ability's.. Once again I know it will kill a deer and I might still try them but this is just killing me for some reason.. lol Is anyone else having any problems with this broadhead.. I mean they fly great but come on...
Old 09-17-2006, 04:30 PM

Default RE: sharpness of broadheads

I started using them this year, shot one through a deer, it cut a rib in half on each side, seems sharp to me.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am also interested in this post, I bought Montecs and like you said they seem to lack the sharpness that many broadheads have, however they do fly the same as my FT's
Old 09-17-2006, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

montec use two types of steel tempered together and thats why they wont sharpen. i love shooting them for the one piece however, any replaceble blade head is goin to be sharper. I have killed animals with both
Old 09-17-2006, 07:53 PM

I use montecs also. Mine are very sharp and easy to resharpen. They have worked just fine on deer.