Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

virgin hunter

Old 09-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default virgin hunter

I have a friend who recently moved to P.A. from Texas and has never hunted ( i know, sounds crazy to me as well). Anyways he seems to be really interested in it and I offered to take him out a few times this year. Well he has already requested opening day off from work in hopes are going to treee with me which I have no problem with....well at least taking him. The thing is that I'm worried since he has never hunted he might put a spoil on my opening day, which I have to call off from work for as well. A part of me wants him to go but another part of me is being a little selfish I guess thinking maybe he'll screw up the hunt. At the same time I'd rather an early season hunt get screwed up than a later season hunt. Any suggestions?
Old 09-17-2006, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: virgin hunter

i would definately take him but i dont know about you PA guys, theres enough pa hunters as there is
Old 09-17-2006, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I understand your worries bout takin a new hunter. Just go and have fun. I was worried bout taking my girlfriend for the same reasons, but once i took her and saw how she enjoyed it, it was much more rewarding than any "missed or blown opportunity"
Old 09-17-2006, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been in those shoes and it is a tuff one.

For one, tell him that you guys need to have different stand sites. It is crazy to put all your eggs in one basket like that.

Hunting different stands gives both of you a chance to get your deerwithout only one guy getting the first shot.

I once had a guy I took hunting. He was quite old, about 35,and only ever bagged one deer. I was told the deer was hit by someone else and came limping by him. Other guys at work always made fun of him behind his back. I felt bad for him.

Anyway, I took the guy under my wing and tried to teach him what I could. When I got to talking to him I realized he didn't know very much at all. He couldn't tell which way a deer was going by looking at a track. ( Totally lost) I knew I bit off more than I could chew. I put him in my favorite archery stand the first day while I hunted another spot. Sure enough he hit a spike buck.(This was in West Virginia)He called me on his radio.

When I got to him I could see that he was excited. I ask him lots of questions. " Where did you hit it?, Where was the deer standing when you shot?, Which way did it run?, etc..." He did not know anything.
Luckily I found the blood trail and found his buck. I even gutted it for him. He didn't know how.

I took him later that year in rifle season in PA. I got a buck with a bow so I couldn't hunt. I sat with him in the spot I would have hunted.

First thing after daylight, we saw a small buck( This was before antler restrictions) It was walking toward us at 40yds. He aims over a log and shoots. The deer takes off with his right shoulder broke and a big gash down his side. We watched the deer run down the hill.

As we sat there, I ask him where he was aiming. He said, " The shoulder"

The idiot aimed at the shoulder as the deer was walking dirrectly toward him. Basicly aiming right down along its side. I was a bit frustrated and explained where he should have aimed.

I tracked the deer and found it bedded down with its head up. He finished it off with a second shot.

He also shot a doe in WV's rifle season.

He got 3 deer that year and he'd only taken 1 deer in the previous 23 years. His family made a big deal about him being the deer slayer and all.

The following year he wanted to hunt with me again but I wasn't so eager to hunt with him. It was like baby sitting.

When it came to buck season, he wanted to hunt right beside me. I told him no. He insisted he would hunt a few trees over and I insisted that he hunt another spot I picked out for him. He gave in but I could tell he wasn't happy. The spot I found for him was a few miles down the road.

The first day at daylight he hit a deer. He hit it low and broke its front leg.

I got a small buck from the spot I was hunting. When I loaded the buck in my pickup ,I drove to where he was hunting and was surprised to see him at his truck.

When I got there he jumped out and told me his story. He said he couldn't find it but he had some chunks of bone in his pocket he showed me. When he ask how I did,I pointed in the back of the truck. The look in his eyes and I could see he was mad. He felt that was his deer or something. I tried to explain that he also got to shoot and had a chance, but I guess that wasn't good enough.

I insisted we go look for his deer but he said " I looked everywhere and I'm going home."

He got in his truck and left and this was only about 11:00AM on the first day.

I went down to search for his deer even though there was little I could do, even if I did find it. I found the blood trail and followed it and found a couple more small pieces of bone but did not find the deer.

The next yearhe didn'task to hunt with me.

Sorry for the long story but maybe you can learn what might happen.

There's nothing wrong for taking someone new hunting. Just know when to put your foot down. Some people act like you owe it to them to be the guide. I guess if I'd taken some time to get to know this guy first I might have seen that.

Just get to know the guy and insist that you guys hunt different areas to give both of you a chance. If he doesn't like that then tell him you are sorry but the first day comes once a year and you have to miss work and you want a chance at a deer too.

Somehow its different hunting with a long time friend. You don't mind hunting the same spot together. Its different with someone that you aren't good friends with.

Hope all goes well with you.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

Yes, you will do fine!!
Old 09-17-2006, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a toughy I can see why you would be hesitant to take him.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

Just remember...once upon a time...someone took you hunting for your very first time too. They were probably having the same feelings you are, but they took you.
Good Luck to both of you.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:42 PM

I wouldnt hesitate to take him. Explain whats going on and what your doing, when to talk,move and any thing else you can think of and have fun. Remember the more we get involved with our sportthe better and its a long season
Old 09-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

take him teach him and you kill teh deer to show him teh basics then tell him to go get his own land lol do all except the last part
Old 09-17-2006, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

I think there's a recurring theme here I agree with: Take him with you, but hunt separately. It'll probably help him anyways. IMHO that's a better way to hunt, anyways.

I do have an additional suggestion: Take him under your wing BEFORE opening day. It may help both your odds. Target practice with him, tell him some of what you've learned, both general and specific tactics. Then, when opening day is close, tell him about what to expect where you plan to set him up. Then tell him you're confident enough in him that you think he should hunt by himself. I think it will boost his self confidence and increase his chances on opening day.

Someone probably took you under their wing when yo were starting out. Pay it forward! It'll pay you back.

Quick Reply: virgin hunter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.