Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Poaching definded?

Old 09-17-2006, 04:35 PM

Default RE: Poaching definded?

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

Anyway, I guess the official definition of the word "poacher" is different than whatmany, many people use it for. Myself included.
And that is exactly my original point and the reason I started this thread! If fact I used the phrase "nearly everybody" instead of "many, many".Question was, how come?
Because it fits.

It isn't that hard to understand.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

At this juncture I believe we all pretty much understand each others thoughts on this subject.Now it's getting old! Intresting post Sylvan.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Anyway, I guess the official definition of the word "poacher" is different than whatmany, many people use it for. Myself included.
And that is exactly my original point and the reason I started this thread! If fact I used the phrase "nearly everybody" instead of "many, many".Question was, how come?
Because it fits.

LOL, after some pretty good contributions to the disucssion by several peoplewho have givenseveral intelligent perspectives, that'sall you've got?My oh my!

I think early in is right. This is getting old. Bye gentlemen.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:07 PM

Because it fits.

LOL, after some pretty good contributions to the disucssion by several peoplewho have givenseveral intelligent perspectives, that'sall you've got?My oh my!

Obviously you forgot about;

Why ask the question, Sylvan? Looking for an argument?

You've already made it plain that anyone who disagrees that "poacher" only means someone hunting on private property when they don't have permission, is wrong.

I use the term poacher to describe someone who breaks any game law. If you hunt without a tag, you're poaching. If you're tresspassing and kill an animal on that property, you're poaching. If you're baiting in a state where it is illegal and you kill an animal over that bait, you're poaching.

But obviously you're right and I'm wrong. I'm obviously using the term incorrectly.

Just like our equipment and techniques change over time, so do the defenitions and usages or words. A definition isn't set in stone, you know.

But again, I'm obviously wrong because you (and the dictionary)say so.

If you break a game law, and have an animal in your posession because of that broken law, you're a poacher in my book.
Way to be an ass though.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:34 PM

Because it fits.

Obviously you forgot about;

Why ask the question, Sylvan? Looking for an argument?

You've already made it plain that anyone who disagrees that "poacher" only means someone hunting on private property when they don't have permission, is wrong.

I use the term poacher to describe someone who breaks any game law. If you hunt without a tag, you're poaching. If you're tresspassing and kill an animal on that property, you're poaching. If you're baiting in a state where it is illegal and you kill an animal over that bait, you're poaching.

But obviously you're right and I'm wrong. I'm obviously using the term incorrectly.

Just like our equipment and techniques change over time, so do the defenitions and usages or words. A definition isn't set in stone, you know.

But again, I'm obviously wrong because you (and the dictionary)say so.

If you break a game law, and have an animal in your posession because of that broken law, you're a poacher in my book.
Way to be an ass though.
Way to wear your emotions on your sleeve. [&:]

With the exception of your post, I don't think anybody accused anyone else of being wrong. It was a discussion to clarify the term both in connotation and denotation. You stated what defines a poacher in 'your book'. I think he was looking for a legal definition and not just how you felt about it. It doesn't mean you are right or wrong, it just means that you are not the definitive source for the term poacher. I think this whole post has been in the spirit of exploration and learning. Don't ruin that please.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:50 PM

Actually, if you go back and read the initial post again, Sylvan new well and good what the legal definition was. His question was why do hunters use the term poacher to describe things outside that legal definition.

After being told several different answers, he still didn't seem to accept any of it, he proved this by asking again "how come?"

I replied with "Because it fits."

I was then basically told that it wasn't an intelligent response when compared to anyone elses.

And by the way, I've never claimed to be the definitive source for anything, so don't assume thats what I was getting at. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I replied with "Because it fits."

I was then basically told that it wasn't an intelligent response when compared to anyone elses.
No problem with the "Because it fits" portion of your 2 line reponse. I guess it didn't occur to you that I might have taken issue with the 2nd line. You know, the larger portion of your response that you didn't bother to metnion.

"It isn't that hard to understand."

So you sarcastically insult everybody here who doesn't agree with you as not being intelligent enough to understand your point and then have the nerve to be offended when you're called on it. Wow!

Just maybe people are intelligent enough to understand exactly what you're point is but simply don't agree. Everybody else in the discussion seemed to recognize that simple concept and made some pretty thoughtfull and respectfull comments. That's what I compared your response to. Think about it, and have a great day!

Old 09-18-2006, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

So when I "poach" eggs what if any game/wildlife laws are being violated. I hope none cuz I really love poached eggs.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

So can anyone tell me what poaching means?[:-][8D]
Old 09-18-2006, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Because we, Americans at least, are lazy/sloppy with our language. How come the word "gentleman", which once only meant an owner of land, gentry, but has sense come to mean the ideals of such a person. Or "Cavalier", which used to be a military unit, but came to be understood asa person who displays the same attitude of these military men. Or "decimate", which originally meant "to reduce by one tenth", to now be synonomous with obliterate. Or why does "Bad" mean good? or "cool" mean socially suave? "Poach" has slid into the morass of slang.

To be honest I always viewed poaching by the original definition with the addition of shooting game out of season. What can I say? I'm lazy/sloppy too, I guess.

Quick Reply: Poaching definded?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.