Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Poaching definded?

Old 09-17-2006, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Poaching definded?

Why ask the question, Sylvan? Looking for an argument?
Not at all. I thought I made it pretty clear that I bring it up because I think that incorrectly using the term to include all kinds of minor game violations trivializes it and is ultimatelyharmfull to the sport. Just my opinion. By all means, make up any definition you want I really don't care as I'll probably know what you mean. I would like to point out, however, that words have meanings and the words youuse have consequencesand the public at large doesn't know about your/our peculiar definitions. So just maybe it makes sense to use the term as it is intended to be used and if there is a question all anybody needs to do is look it up.

But again, I'm obviously wrong because you (and the dictionary)say so.
No not because I say so, just the dictionary. I didn't invent or define the term.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:40 AM

Ok, what I would like to know is what does the law define as 'poaching'. What does the game warden consider poaching? I think that would give us the best answer. I have seen people in a couple of threads now say things like 'well that is what poaching is to me' or 'well that is poaching in my book'. What I want to know is how is poaching defined in THE BOOK. (the LAW book) Also, no offence to Mr. Webster, I don't really care how the dictionary defines it. Dictionaries don't write tickets or take people to jail. Quite frankly, it really makes no difference how you define it. It only matters how law defines it. If you get caught baiting, is the charge poaching or is it something else? I think that may be what the original poster is driving at. Like the difference between robbery and burglary, the offender is still a theif, but the charges are different. This is sure to vary from state to state, but it would be interesting to find out how the law defines it.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good reply Reacher, I concur. But Sylvan is correct, the dictionary uses the word trespass in reference topoaching. I think a Game Warden calls these other situations game law violations.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

NY state has a neat web site where you can look up laws based on key words. I did a search for the terms poach, poacher and poaching and found no match anywhere. I also searched the DEC game laws and couldn't find the term. I suspect that laws are written for very specific offenses. I'd actually be suprised to find poaching defined in the law. After all, what would be the penalty? Big difference between somebody hunting who forgot their back tag and somebody jack lighting trophy animals from aprivate deer sanctuary. I'd be curious if other states define it. If not then it seems to me that if poaching isn't a legal term thenDan the man Webster is all we've got to go by.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:12 AM

You do have a point. If there is no 'legal' defenition then where else are we to look? (no offence if you are a Funk and Wagnalls fan )

I wonder if killing deer in a high fence area like King Ranch or someplace similar would amount to grand theft. After all, they sometimes get thousands in trophy fees for those animals.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey guys, just for the record, in Pa, a Game Warden has no control over a trespasser, that is a Police issue. Only if a game law has been violated does a Warden enter the picture. Just thought I'd throw that in.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sylvan along with everyone else who has replied is correct. There are probably no wrong answers here so far.

Laws probably don't define "poaching". The laws are more specific and define the acts of "poaching".

Breaking every single game law does not make a poacher, you can break a game law and not actually take an animal. There are so many obscure game laws in the books that most people might break every year and never even know it nor would they be arrested for them.

That being said, Reacher, good reply.

Oh and Sylvan just to bust your chops a little, [8D] while you have that dictionary out, check out the past tense of Define.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rob, you are ALWAYS on time!
Old 09-17-2006, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't know why dictionary you were reading from Sylvan, or if you read far enough.

From my Webster's New World College Dictionary, Fourth Edition................

.......3 a) to trespass on (private property), esp. for hunting or fishing b) to hunt or catch (game or fish) illegally, esp. by trespassing 4 to take (anything) by unfair or illegal methods; steal --vi.

So it's the illegally part that cinches the deal, covering breaking any game laws such as out-of-season, over limit (even in season), no tag, too small, etc....

Now a humous note - if ever in question as to whether it is poaching - ask a game warden. They usually have pretty good explanations. LOL
Old 09-17-2006, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language that I found on line under Yahoo so anyone can quickly check it out. Here is the complete definition...

VERB:
poached , poach·ing , poach·es
VERB:
intr.

[ol][*]To trespass on another's property in order to take fish or game.[*]To take fish or game in a forbidden area.[*]To become muddy or broken up from being trampled. Used of land.[*]To sink into soft earth when walking.[*]

To take or appropriate something unfairly or illegally.
Sports To play a ball out of turn or in another's territory, as in doubles tennis. [/ol][/ol]
VERB:
tr.

[ol][*]To trespass on (another's property) for fishing or hunting.[*]To take (fish or game) illegally.[*]To make (land) muddy or broken up by trampling.[*]

To take or appropriate unfairly or illegally.
Sports To play (a ball) out of turn or in another's territory. [/ol][/ol]

Clearly, when the context is hunting tresspassing is included in the definition even with the dictionary you are using. You are going all the way to a 4th and less common useageor generalized conotation of the term.Given the context I think your streching at least, though you make a point. IMO, the 1stusage iswhat I think the general public has in mind when they hear the term. They don't associate poaching with somebody who gets afine because they were fishing and didn't have their license displayed properly on their hat. Probably the most common image that is conjured up when poaching is mentioned is that of Robin Hood going on the Sherrifs land to "poach" a deer to feed the poor.

Quick Reply: Poaching definded?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.