Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rumor of loose leopard

Old 09-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rumor of loose leopard

ORIGINAL: huntingson

And I agree about it being one amazing bow kill. I bet I would be the first person in Ohio to do it, if not the world. Ok, that's it I am bowhunting panther this year
Look at it this way..no matter who wins you or the leapord..you'll be famous
Old 09-14-2006, 11:13 AM

I hunt southwest ohio, what county are you talking about?
Old 09-14-2006, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Preble county
Old 09-14-2006, 11:38 AM

ORIGINAL: gutshotem

In PA it's illegal to carry any type of firearm during the archery season. If I were you I'd check the local game laws.
If it is a violation I wouldn't chance it. If your that concerned about actually being attacked I'd go out and buy one of those big bottles of pepper spray that they usewhen hunting in griz country.
I wonder if cats like cajun seasoned bowhunter as much as bears?

I hunt surrounded by the world's largest land carnivores and yes, I pack a snub nosed .44 mag. BUT I have no delusions of it making me safer. If a bear, or especially a cat wants you, it's going to have you before you even remember to drop your bow, get your release out of the way, unsnap your holster, draw the gun, stuff it against something vital on the furry critter on top of you, and manage to pull the trigger. It's a noise maker to scare curious or mischevious critters off and it's a security blanket because even an inocuous little .44 mag. is better than beating on them with your fist. If you want to be safe around predators while hunting the best thing you can carry is a good dose of sense. Educate yourself about the critters you're dealing with and avoid behaviors that are going to cause you undue trouble around them.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do you have a CCW? In Michigan you can carry concealed. I always do. I would do it in your situation even if it was illegal. Even if you are stopped by a DNR officer as long as you're pleasant he won't frisk you or even ask if you are carrying.

Tom
Old 09-14-2006, 09:07 PM
dws

Huntingson, I must live very close to you cause I'm only 3 miles down Bantas Fork from Heaven's Corner,the place you are talking about. He takes in mistreated pets and poisonous snakes and all kinds of critters. I'm also good friends with Joe the horse owner you mentioned. That attack took place on Stotler Rd. Brian our game officer from Preble told me about some mountain lion sightings on Twin Creek Rd. a couple of months ago that he was going to check out but I haven't talked to him since then to find out if they were true or not. But he did say the state doesn't regulate them so you wouldn't need a tag to hunt for it. He also said if anybody went hunting for it to make sure you had enough gun because from what people were calling and telling him it must be one big cat. Theres also a bunch of wild boars that got loose from an illegal hunting operation ce to Hueston Woods.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:05 PM

I don't see a problem with carrying a sidearm if the panther is loose.I would rather do that than feel unsafe everytime I entered the woods. It's not like your'e going to use it to deerhunt. Sometimes its neccessary to break the law to protect ones'safety, IMO.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I have a CCW, but you still can't legally carry a sidearm while bowhunting because they think you are going to shoot your deer with your pistol and then say you bow shot it. I agree with ducsauce though, I am goint to do it anyway now that I am convinced it is not just a rumor.

DWS, yes, we must just be a couple miles apart. My parents, my grandparents, and my farms are all on Twin Creek. I hope I get to shoot that thing while coyote hunting.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:58 PM

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

ORIGINAL: gutshotem

In PA it's illegal to carry any type of firearm during the archery season. If I were you I'd check the local game laws.
If it is a violation I wouldn't chance it. If your that concerned about actually being attacked I'd go out and buy one of those big bottles of pepper spray that they usewhen hunting in griz country.
I wonder if cats like cajun seasoned bowhunter as much as bears?

I hunt surrounded by the world's largest land carnivores and yes, I pack a snub nosed .44 mag. BUT I have no delusions of it making me safer. If a bear, or especially a cat wants you, it's going to have you before you even remember to drop your bow, get your release out of the way, unsnap your holster, draw the gun, stuff it against something vital on the furry critter on top of you, and manage to pull the trigger. It's a noise maker to scare curious or mischevious critters off and it's a security blanket because even an inocuous little .44 mag. is better than beating on them with your fist. If you want to be safe around predators while hunting the best thing you can carry is a good dose of sense. Educate yourself about the critters you're dealing with and avoid behaviors that are going to cause you undue trouble around them.
Well put! There was that monster bear they killed in Alaska that killed two people before it was found and killed. One guy was a hiker that had time to empty his .38 into the bear not doing much to it of course.
Or was that another urban legend as well, sigh,, I dont know what to beleave anymore, lol.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:10 PM
dws

I got the official scoop today from a county deputy. All of the animals from that sanctuary have been accounted for. So it appears nothing got loose. They are saying that the cat is a mountain lion. There has been sightings from Germantown all the way up Twin Creek to Darke County.

Quick Reply: Rumor of loose leopard

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.