Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Target Panic...HELP!!!!

Old 09-15-2006, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Target Panic...HELP!!!!

strange thing for me though is even before the season i lost all those arrows i had target panic bad, but never on a deer.
yup, and i can garuntee you were shooting at a dot of some sort. The brain commands the finger and says NOW! Naturally there is going to be a short lag time between the two happening, and you miss. Then it becomes a mental problem, and you will lock off the dot. If you learn to induce a surprise release, the mental command of the shot is taken out of the equation, and its all done by muscle memory.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

I wish I could offer some help in the topic. I have the panic as well. It seems that most have a difficult time bringing the pin down, I am just the opposite. I have a difficult time bringing the pin up to the bull.

I would have to say that my problems came on when I went from a finger shooter to a release. Like everyone else, I manage to compensate.

Good luck and let us know what method worked for you!
Old 09-15-2006, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Practice and take a couple slow deep breath's .

nubo
Old 09-15-2006, 10:29 AM
Spike

I posted earlier that I'm struggling with this as well since having shoulder surgery. I can't seem to bring the pin all the way up to my target. This morning I spent a long time at the range trying to work this out. I have to take my sight off to put my bow away in the case. So this morning I just never put the sight on for about half of my practice session. I was pleasantly surprised to find that at ten yards without any sights I could move my aim where ever I wanted and hold it there without punching the release. I did this for a couple dozen arrows. Then I put the sight back on and shot from only ten yards. I was able to control the panic a lot more than I had before. I continued to shoot a few dozen arrows from this distancewith good form and technique. I moved back to twenty yards and was shooting the best I have in years. After a while the panic started to come back a bit so I just went back through the same routine again. I think this is going to be a major part of my practice sessions from now on. Maybe this will work for some other people as well.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:41 AM

Thanks to everyone for your input.

I've tried true back-tension releases, but somehow still couldn't keep from hanging up over the target.

Everyone I ask around home tells me just to stand about 5 yards away from the target, draw back and aim, then close my eyes. That doesn't help.

So far, the best thing I've been able to do is to eat something with a lot of protein, like peanut butter to help steady my shot and get rid of the shakes. After I shoot for about 2 hours,my target panic seems to go away, but the next day, it's back...very frustrating.

That Mongoose release with the "CAN'T PUNCH" addition looks very helpful. Thanks, ducsause for that input. I may have to give that a try.

Thanks again to EVERYONE for your input.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a bad problem punching the trigger until my pro shop owner had me try his release and I bought one that day. It's the T.R.U. Ball Chappy Boss thumb trigger. It is a no travel release so you're not anticipating the release. I have been shooting it for a couple of months now and my trigger punching and target panic are gone. Go to your local pro shop and see if they will let you try one and see if it helps you like it did me.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:55 AM

ORIGINAL: cbanman

For me the proper medicine was a new release called "the answer" made by GKF. It is adjustable to work like a normal index finger release, but can also be adjusted to lock up if you try to punch the trigger. It is very effective in helping cure or control target panic. I've had the painc for about 10 years and couldn't hold on the target at 10 yards 3 years ago, before I got this release. Now I can put arrows in the vitals all day at 50 yards. I'm not sure if GKF still makes/sells this release so you may have to check ebay.

Thanks for that info, cbanman. I looked on Ebay and couldn't find anything at all. I Googled it, and found a couple of references, but still no luck. I went to GKF's website and they don't have it anymore.

Anybody else know where to find it?
Old 09-16-2006, 11:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Rod1210

I posted earlier that I'm struggling with this as well since having shoulder surgery. I can't seem to bring the pin all the way up to my target. This morning I spent a long time at the range trying to work this out. I have to take my sight off to put my bow away in the case. So this morning I just never put the sight on for about half of my practice session. I was pleasantly surprised to find that at ten yards without any sights I could move my aim where ever I wanted and hold it there without punching the release. I did this for a couple dozen arrows. Then I put the sight back on and shot from only ten yards. I was able to control the panic a lot more than I had before. I continued to shoot a few dozen arrows from this distancewith good form and technique. I moved back to twenty yards and was shooting the best I have in years. After a while the panic started to come back a bit so I just went back through the same routine again. I think this is going to be a major part of my practice sessions from now on. Maybe this will work for some other people as well.

Thanks for that advice. That sounds like something I will have to try. Never thought of that one.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

A Few years ago...i had it....so i had acoach for a few weeks...he taught me to focus on one spot....he had me hitting dots at all yardages..Focus Focus.....breath breath.......relax........release....my problem was i was punching the release and pulling the bow....he made me focus and block everything else around me out......till this day..when i'm shooting in the yard.....my wife thinks i'm ignoring her....lol....

Honkers......