Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What makes a shop a "good" shop?

Old 09-13-2006, 09:57 PM

Default RE: What makes a shop a "good" shop?

I drive to a shop that is an hour away vs. driving toone 15 minutes away for better service.This shop treats you the same whetheryour looking at a new target bow, orif you just want your string loop replaced. One of my favorite thingsabout the shop isthat is fast and will do the work while I am there so I won't have to make two trips.The place I used to go to would make me wait a week for arrows to be fletched, or a string replaced.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:22 AM
Typical Buck

I walk into my shop and I'm greeted with "Hi Ken". Whether I'm there just to ask advice, bum a couple sight pins, or to buy a new bow I am treated very well there. The bow tech there is one of the most knowledgeable bowmen I know...the only problem I have with him is he shoots a Trykon and I shoot a Switchback XT.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:36 AM

This might have already been said, I dont have time to read the whole series of posts here.
Make sure the shop owner or whooever is helping you has the time to spend with you tuning and helping your form. This I cannot stress enough!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Value for my $, knowing what they are doing, timely service. And the shop I go greets me by name when I walk in the door. That personal touch makes a big difference. My shop gives back to the community as well. They donated a $50 gift certificate to my churches annual fund raiser. This makes them a great shop in my eyes.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

The shop I go to now is not a great shop, but it's not bad either.
Rating the shop as a whole, on a scale of 1 - 10:
Customer Service - 7
Quality service - 10
Speedy service - 5
Inventory - 2
Atmosphere - 10
Range - 10

So, it's a good shop, just not great, but they have only been open for a year. One of the owners, the bow tech, has been in the business for a while. Before opening this shop, he worked for another for several years. The other owners have never been in retail and are learing the ropes, and are micro-managing in the process, thus the low score on inventory.

I've watched and noticed that most customers are directed to the bow tech. The other owners should really take the time to learn all aspects of the business if they expect to survive.

I really do feel sorry for the tech. It's always Adam this, Adam that. Well while Adam is helping a customer with a bow the other owners will holler across the shop for Adam to get the phone. Then, while Adam is talking on the phone AND trying to help the first customer, one of the other owners will come up again and ask Adam a question about another customer's equipment and could he take care of it when he was done with the phone call. OMG! The guy looks like a one legged man in a butt kicking contest! I'd be pulling my hair out and bashing my head against the counter!! Sometimes I just leave because it's too stressful in there, and I'm not even involved!
Old 09-14-2006, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, as far as age goes, my bow tech is 22 and one of the best there is!!
Old 09-14-2006, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

I honestly look for a shop that when I walk into it the guy knows my name. Asked me how I've been and can somewhat remember the bow I shoot. I also look for a shop that doesn't have a half dozen guys sitting aroung drinking coffee. Nothing more uncomfortable then a bunch of townies watching your every move. Also they have to know what they are doing. If they don't then I wouldn't be back. I am real lucky to have one very close to work and very close to my home. Both are great shops
Old 09-14-2006, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

What if you were to go into a shop and it was run by younger people. Generally speaking, my age and a bit older, say 18 - 25.

Would that cause you to have less faith in their work at first glance, or would you give them the benefit of the doubt about what they know?
Well taking that to the other extreme, a shop near me is run by a guy in his 60's and hes a big dope. Regardless of age, if the shop has a good reputation for service and overall helpfulness then it's a good shop.

Myself, I try to not rely on anyone but myself because then I know what I did and plus the satisfaction of working on your own bow is worth the extra time it takes to research.
Well I'm mainly talking about a shop with no reputation. This would be a shop just opening up. Based completely on first impressions, would the sight of younger people working on your equipment deter you accepting their services?

I don't care if the guy/gal that will be working on my bow is 12 or 112.

If It were a new shop, i would need to be made to feel like they were knowledgeable, and genuinely interseted in doing what was right for me.

Then the price would need to be reasonable. Not necessarily cheap but "in the ballpark"

Then if they want me to come back the work would need to be good quality, stand by their work andthe shop would need to carry a decent variety. I realize they can't carry everything but a nice selection plus the ability to order things i need and receive them in a reasonable amount of time.

One other nice touch that I have received lately that goes a long way. Follow up.
I had a shop owner call me recently, 1 weekafter working on my bow just to see if the work was satisfactory and if I needed anything else to just let him know.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

The place I take my bow for repairs or tuning is a local ( Mom & Pop ) shop.
I also get my arrows refletched and my hunting liesense thru them too.
What makes them a " good shop " is the presonel and friendly service.
They treat you like family and do what they can to help you out with whatever you need.
I've beengoing to them for years and we share hunting stories and pictures.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Greg, no doubt[8D]. An st what??

In addition to the list above I'll have to add one of the many things I like about my shop & its owner-

I can call & request a price on ANY hunting related itemI want and he will look it up and quote me a price to order it for me.
NEVER has the price quoted been higher than Bass-pro/Cabelas.
I love supporting my local shop at a better deal thanI can find elsewhere, makes doing so real easy.
Who knows maybe he cuts me a discount[8D]?

Quick Reply: What makes a shop a "good" shop?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.