Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Coyote

Old 09-13-2006, 07:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Coyote

ORIGINAL: Higgy15jh

When he said erradicated i dont think he meant kill them till extention but more of able to killing one with a bow..
Agreed, thus my picture post.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

i dont know how true this is...i heard that the more pressure put on yotes, the more/faster they breed....probably the smartest animal in PA woods!!
Old 09-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Coyotes cover a lot of ground and may not be near that stand again for days or weeks, unless of course you're near their den and then you got problems. Deer encounter them every day. They learn to live with them and stay out of the way, especially at this time of year with young still tagging along. Heck, you can't erradicate coyotes with firearms. You can kill one now and then but it's tough with a bow. They have great eyesite and quickly pick off movement to draw a deer would never see. My brothers gang shot 92 three years ago. Something like 75 this year. There will be lots more around next year.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:54 PM

Great responses. Rob, great yote. Hopefully I at least stick that mangy dog that has shown up on my game camera. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2006, 08:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

David's right.

I'm recalling an incident I watch last year. I had a yote on the field in front of me several nights in one week. I thought it was a little female. Anyway, she'd be mousing in the field. One night I watch her coming down the field access road, a young buck walked the field. They came face to face at 10 yards. They had a stare down, the buck leaped away a few leaps, the coyote realized there was no chance in hell and the buck looked back, wagged it's tail and calmed down and went about his business, the coyote too never looked back.

They share the same woods, deer know when they are in danger from them. They are more likely to avoid an area because of a domestic dog then they will from frequent coyotes.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

its not the singles you have to worry about, its the packs of 4 or more that will scare the deer. Plus yotes tend to go after yearlings, easy kills.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel guilty when I kill something and don't eat it. However there's no way I'm eating dog meat. It would be an awesome trophy and a cool mountbut unless you guys have some great dog meat recipes count me out. Maybe I'll check with the Chinese restaurant on the corner. A little rice, some sweet and sour sauce. Now we're talking.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:24 PM

well it is possible to get one with a bow but would be quite a challenge i would try to trap and i think you would have better luck, predator season is year round, good luck tryin to get him with the bow that would be an awesome trophy.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:52 PM
Typical Buck

I read or saw something recently that said that coyotes don't actually run in packs, but are solitary animals that sometimes run in small family groups of a parent and one to 4 young. When the young get full grown, they go off on thier own.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Getting one with a bow is tough. They never seem to stop, and they are so quiet by the time you hear them they are on you and gone. I have seen 5 from the deer stand and about 30 while stalking elk, but I have yet to loose an arrow at one. If you really want that coyote gone, I would say trap. However, if you do get one with a bow it is an awesome trophy IMO. So, congrats Rob and that is a beautiful mount.

Quick Reply: Coyote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.