Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Open Season - Movie (Modern Day Bambi?)

Old 09-14-2006, 07:10 AM

Default RE: Open Season - Movie (Modern Day Bambi?)

ORIGINAL: MA Jay

It is just a movie, and its influence on YOUR kids will be as deep or as shallow as you let it be.
Its not OUR kids that we need to be worried about, its THEIR kids, the non-hunters kids.

The fact is, this movieWILL turn some kids into anti-hunters, just as Bambi did.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

Not just some kids mind you. SO maybe it has a profound impact on 20-30% of the kids that see it. Keep in mind that we're talking about 20-30% of millions of kids.

I'm not exactly the "everyone's out to get me" type. Generally I like to think that the general population is of a good heart and basically openminded. But if you don't think the AR are raging WAR on our way of life, your sticking your head in the sand. PETA put billboards up in hunting areas saying "Jesus was a vegeterian... don't hunt". They handed out bloody Colonel Sanders dolls holding a chicken in one hand and clever in another... AT AN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. The HSUS has declared that their goal is to end hunting in every shape and form. They commithundreds of millionsof dollars to lobbying in state legislatures for bills such as to raise the minimum hunting age to prevent our sharing of our pastime with our children.

http://www.hsus.org/wildlife/stop_canned_hunts/facts_about_canned_hunts.html

Tell me this isn't misinformation warfare.

An all out assault:
http://www.hsus.org/wildlife/issues_facing_wildlife/hunting/learn_the_facts_about_hunting.html

I don't know exactly what to do about any of it, but I do know that I'm not paranoid.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MA Jay

It is just a movie, and its influence on YOUR kids will be as deep or as shallow as you let it be.

This movie appears to play more along the lines of Wiley Coyote and the Roadrunner and it's slapstick over the top visual humor in the pursuit of a meal than Bambi's pursuit by Hunters who's sole destruction of the woods and all in it scared the crap out of a lot of kids. Being the father of a kid who absoluteyy loves everything to do with animals, this type of flick is just juvenile humor that will not bridge the gap to real life.... but should make for a funny show to see and laugh at the make believe "battle" between Hunter and Hunted.

Personally, I am looking forward to seeing it. For those of uswho are watching these types of movies with our kids, at least the subject of hunting is in a movie! It will be kind of like watching Blue Collar TV (Jeff Foxworthy), just laughing at an over the top stereo-type portrayal of those who love the outdoors! I'm all for it, but then again I am not of the "eveyone is out to get me" camp.
I agree 100% MA Jay, as far as non-hunters kids becoming antis because of this flick, that's a real stretch. Kids will forget about it as soon as the next kids movie comes out. Non-hunters kids will usually grow up to be non-hunters unless influenced by a person in their family that hunts or a family friend that hunts or something of that nature or an anti (worst case scenario). I have several friends at work that are non-hunters (not anti's they just don't really care) and the ones that I am close to, who' kids play with and know my kids, have always let me introduce their kids to hunting with me and my family if their children showed interest. I always try to take new people hunting, young and old, if they show interest and I trust them to be safe, reponsible, and willing to learn I take them. That is how I try to convert non-hunters. Over and out.