Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The fire is gone.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default The fire is gone.

I've been hunting all of my life. For the past 10 years or so, I've been hardcore about it. Hunting or scouting all year long, hunting in all kinds of weather, going farther in than alot of hunters, staying longer on stand than most hunters...just basically living and breathing hunting. Even at work, I had a CD of turkeys calling in the woods that I would pop in , put the headphones onand listen to turkeys and the sounds of the woods while at work just to keep my mind occupied with hunting.My clothes are always washed and put in scent proof containers months in advance, my spots are all scouted well in advance, my bow is always ready to go. This year is different. The fire is gone. Although my gear is all ready to go, I am not mentally prepared for this season...and it opens in 4 days!! I haven't even bought my license yet (something I usually have done at least a month in advance) and to be honest, I'm not sure I'm going to this year. I just don't have the desire this year. It kinda scares me, really. I've known alot of guys over the years that have suddenly just lost interest in hunting and gave it up after years of hunting. I never thought it would happen to me. Hunting has always meant so much to me and really, it's who I was. I always considered myself three things : A husband, a father and a hunter. Everything else was secondary. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not an anti or anything like that, and I still find myself enjoying shooting my bow in the backyard, I just don't have a desire to hunt. What I'd like to know is have any of you gone through this "phase" or something similar and gotten over it, or have any of you gone through this and given up hunting altogether?

Slice
Old 09-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The fire is gone.

I went through it a couple years ago, I went out adn it wasnt the same, the fire was gone. But once the rut hit adn I started seeing bucks chasing does, I remembered what it was that I enjoyed so much about hunting. Mother Nature.....being alone, relaxation, a sense of well being. The fire came back. And now its stronger than it ever has been. Dont let the last ember burn out. Go out and sit, and reflect on why you are there, what pulls you to the woods year after year?
Old 09-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

The current issue of Bowhunter magazine has a story in it somewhat like yours. The guy got so obsessed with trophys, hunting wasn't fun for him anymore. He went back to basics, the WHY of being out there. He started paying attention to the beauty around him again and stopped concentrating on killing a trophy and learned to enjoy himself again.
I love this way of life so much and it is so much a part of who I am that I cannot imagine ever losing my passion for hunting. And making a kill has so very little to do with it. My love of the outdoors is just all encompassing. If you are on this sight i guess I don't have to explain, you know. Slicendice I hope somehow you regain your passion. I know if I lose mine I would lose a part of who I am. If you can't find the passion again perhaps you could spend time with a youth hunter and help instill that passion into someone new to our way of life. Don't let all those years of experience rust.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: txrookie

The current issue of Bowhunter magazine has a story in it somewhat like yours. The guy got so obsessed with trophys, hunting wasn't fun for him anymore. He went back to basics, the WHY of being out there. He started paying attention to the beauty around him again and stopped concentrating on killing a trophy and learned to enjoy himself again.
I love this way of life so much and it is so much a part of who I am that I cannot imagine ever losing my passion for hunting. And making a kill has so very little to do with it. My love of the outdoors is just all encompassing. If you are on this sight i guess I don't have to explain, you know. Slicendice I hope somehow you regain your passion. I know if I lose mine I would lose a part of who I am. If you can't find the passion again perhaps you could spend time with a youth hunter and help instill that passion into someone new to our way of life. Don't let all those years of experience rust.

DUDE THAT WAS PASSIONATE, YOUBROUGHT A TEAR TO MY EYE!!!!
Old 09-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Slice,
I can understand your fear or concern. It's scary I'm sure. I have not found myself in a place where I don't want to hunt. I have however, been in a mode where, while I was out there hunting, my standards were so high that I let many (too many) bucks and deer in general walk by. I've never shot a doe...for that very reason, I was, call it afraid that I would take it with no satisfaction and there-fore killed only for the sport. I don't even know if there was a deer in my neck of the woods that would have measured up to my standards. (I hope to get more into this topic later in the year)

I think I've come full circle and this year I'm in a different mind set. I even should have a PA Doe license coming. I plan to take a couple doe and hopefully a nice racked buck. My only Criteria now is he must be one who'll go on the wall.

Perhaps you are not excited yet, because your enviroment changed, perhaps a hunting partner moved or work is keeping you busy or whatever. Once that cool morning air starts hitting your face and you see the leaves changing, with a tiny hint of morning frost. Just the smell of the Autumn that is pending..just maybe the woods will lure you back. If not.. maybe next year..the woods is like an old friend..it'll be there when you need it!
Old 09-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Understand what you're saying.I don't hunt nearly as hard as I used to.I still enjoy it and hunt hard when I'm hunting but nowadays if I even hunt around home,I'll get up,stick my nose out the back door and if I feel like going back to bed--I do(and most times I do).I hunt every weekend and the whole last week of archery at my cabin and I'm pretty beat by the end of the season.I guess the older ya get the slower ya get.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Dominant Buck

It's a good thing you got on a different team this fall.

No seriously, I know how you feel. I have had the same feeling about giving up hunting and moving on to fishing full time. Then Oct, Nov comes along and the cool breeze is in my face and I just enjoy it.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the replies guys. Although I'm thinking about sitting this year out, I have told my son that when he's ready to learn how to hunt I'll buy my license and teach him. And my gear is all ready to go, so should I get a change of heart this year, I can go. I really don't see it happening, though. Not this year at least. It really scares me, though. I mean, hunting is just always been part of me. I wish I could put my finger on it and figure out why I've had this sudden change of heart, but as of yet, I can't figure it out. I do know that hunting is always something I've done to relax and let go of all my frustrations, but within the last several years, I've been getting more and more frustrated while hunting. It's probably the same frustrations most of you have faced, trespassers, finding it difficult to obtain/keep private land, finding time to hunt and still get my duties at home fullfilled, hunting on public land, ect, ect. Like I said, i don't think it's any one thing, just alot of little things, I guess.

But thanks for the encouragement, guys and good luck to all of you!

Slice
Old 09-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

Fieldmouse,

I've jumped out of the contest this fall. I didn't think it was fair to a team to have me on the roster if I couldn't commit myself fully to hunting this year.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Have heard of other Pa hunters doing the same. I can't recall if I've read that of any other state except one guy from NY. A statistic that I'm sure will be forgotten. I won't.

Quick Reply: The fire is gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.