Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The fire is gone.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The fire is gone.

Maybe you were hunting for some of the wrong reasons for awhile and forgot what it is about it that thrills a 12 year old on his first hunt. You know what I mean don't you? Connect with some family or friends and always be more interested in their succes than your own. Never make a competition out of it. I have never entered a buck pool in my life and never will.
Possibly, there are some things going on in your life that have caused a depression in you. I have been there so I can relate. I hunted a few seasons that were far from enjoyable because of this. In this case, walk away from hunting as long as you need to, but still consider yourself a hunter. As your problems are resolved, the drive will return.
Time with family is the biggest part of hunting for me. When I think back, the fondest memories are not of the animals I have taken, but the adventure shared with my Dad and brothers, cousins, Grandpap and uncles over the years. If you have nobody to share it with, find a young person who is in need and brighten his/her life with all your knowledge and friendship. I guarantee you will find new purpose in hunting and the memories will last you the rest of your days.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:46 PM

I think you're suffering from high tech burn out and the challenge is gone.

Where is your challenge ? You can kill any deer that comes by with your compound, can't you ? Your'e perched in a tree, waiting, bored ....... you need a change of challenge IMO

Traditional archery. Pick up a recurve and you'll rediscover what archery is suppose to be. Leave the treestand at home, try stalking through the woods, watching, breathing, EXPERIENCING the hunt with a trad bow in your hand.

It feels different, it makes you proud to be stepping back and making the hunt tougher instead of easier.

If you were in Arkansas I'd let you shoot my bows and see what you thought.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:13 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

What I'd like to know is have any of you gone through this "phase" or something similar and gotten over it, or have any of you gone through this and given up hunting altogether?
Yup, I have. And I think it's time for a change.

My advice is to take up (or go back to if that is the case) traditional equipment. It's a whole new and exciting avenue. Go can get into it as much as you like right down to building your own equipment. Below is a picture of my son with a quality bow that he and I made for him this past summer. We're gonna build one for me next year. Personally, currently, Ishoot mainlycustom made recurves and longbows.

This is sound advice that should be used. I to was in your spot. I just felt like I had to get that elk or deer every trip lots of pressure. lots of tweeking on my bow and it just wasn't that fun anymore. I made the switch to traditional equipment and shooting was fun and challangeing again. I would go threw withdraws if I didn't get to shoot once a day. I bought a chec-mate falcon from www.recurves.comand it saved me Heart and soul. I hunted with it last year and it was so awsome. I took a coyote with it but never had a clean shot at a big game animal. this year I am back shooting my compound because due to work interfering with my practicing I just didn't have the time to be where I wanted to be. but Im sure I could still kill a buck. it just adds that element that madern archery is lacking.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:10 AM
Typical Buck

Guys thanks for all the responses. To be honest, I didn't really know what to expect when I started this thread. I half expected to get flamed, but that has not been the case at all. I'm intrigued about the responses pertaining to traditional archery. I'll have to do some checking around here and see if there's a shop that deals in trad equiptment and can get me started in the right direction.

Someone mentioned going back to small game hunting, and I have been thinking about that.

Nodog, I grew up in MD and now live just accross the Mason Dixon, less than an hour from where I grew up. I hunt MD just because the season is longer, the bag limits are bigger, the rules are less complicated, and I'm more familiar with the areas in MD than I am the areas in PA.

Someone mentioned depression. I've thought about that, but I'm not sure that's it, but it could be, I guess. I hunt on my grandmothers property a good bit, and always have. I would hunt there, then go in and visit with her after each hunt. I always enjoyed that. She passed away this summer, and I don't know if that has something to do with it or not. It's hard to say.

But, thanks again for all the offers to tag along, the suggestions and the well wishes. I greatly appreciate it. Good luck to everyone this season!!

Slice
Old 09-13-2006, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Someone mentioned depression. I've thought about that, but I'm not sure that's it, but it could be, I guess. I hunt on my grandmothers property a good bit, and always have. I would hunt there, then go in and visit with her after each hunt. I always enjoyed that. She passed away this summer, and I don't know if that has something to do with it or not. It's hard to say.
Hard to say but you said it, and I think this is exactly what I was talking about. Bow season for me is meeting up with my Dad and brothers at my Dads house at 5 am, drinking coffee, watching some hunting show for a bit and heading out in the dark for a day together in the woods. We meet up for lunch, talk about what we had seen, hunt the rest of the day and meet again for dinner that my Mom made and talk hunting some more. We hang stands together, shoot together..etc.
Seeing your Grandmother and talking to her gave you purpose for your hunt and made you feel good about it. I think this is the majority of your problem. Depression is a part of natural life. Does NOT mean you need pills for it, as it will likely take it's course and pass as you make new connections with others.
Take care!
Old 09-13-2006, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope it's not early signs of depression my friend. I would say, try your best to find a friend who can feed the fire, someone who themself loves hunting and hopefully the smoldering embers will flare up again.
All the best bud, I wish the smoke clears and you see your way again!!
Old 09-13-2006, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

She passed away this summer, and I don't know if that has something to do with it or not. It's hard to say.
Sorry to hear that. I also lost my Grandmother during the opening weekend of bowseason last year. I was also very close with her.

If you need any help with tradiational stuff, make sure you stop by the traditional forum. We'll get you hooked.

FWIW, you may not be able to see it from this picture but on the belly of the upper limb of my CheckMate recurve, I had the bowyerput my Grandmother's name, dates of life and a small message to her.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is great thread. I know I can relate. Sometimes thingsbecome such a big part of usthey can almost be overbearing.I'm glad I read this post because over the past couple of seasons I have been judging my success by how many deer I killed and losing sight of some of theother important reasons I love hunting.By the way,very well put post txrookie. Some of my best seasons were the first ones, even thoughthat was over 20 years ago I remember how much fun I had, and I usually wasn't killing anything but time at that point. What happened? Idon't know for sure but I wouldn't mind getting back tothathunting mindset (just happy to be there). This thread reminds me of a conversation between my father and I after an unsuccessfulfew of days bowhunting. Ihad a couple of great spots picked out and was seeing some deer but couldn't get everything to come together. Then the last couple of daysaction tapered off (probably because of something I did) and I was "extremely disappointed" to say the least. Well anyway I'm in the cabin huffing and puffing and complaining and ranting and my dad looks at me and says "Jeez boy, what do you do for fun?" It hit me like a ton of bricks, I'm doing all this complainingand moaning and I'm supposed to be relaxing, enjoying myself and my time with my father bowhunting. Some people don't even have those same kind of oppurtunities and I'm there complaining and taking the fun/enjoyment out of it. Well don'tdo like I did, keep it fun, remember what you love about it, and don't turn it into work. Stoke that fire a little when you can and don't force anything,it will come back to you blazing I'm sure.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

sorry, typo!