Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The fire is gone.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The fire is gone.

I couldn't possibly consider quitting hunting, specifically Bowhunting. It's part of who I am. My new bride will tell you one thing when it comes to bow season, he's hunting. I try to give her 10.5 other months of the year, I ask for 1.5 to do what keeps me alive the other 10.5 months..LOL

Seriously, go back to basics, I don't go sit in a tree because I'm going to kill a buck, you have to figure if I sit in a tree for 45 days, morning, evenings or both or all day, I'm there for the whole experience, the what ifs, the I hope fors, nature, weather, God and body. I love bow season, everthing that goes with it and I pray I never feel the way you do slice, good luck with that.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:27 PM

I can't imagine myself ever quitting hunting or losing the passion for it.

The first few years I bowhunted my mother would always comment how much I was like my dad in so far as my passion for the outdoors went. Lately, they've both commented on how this passion seems to have grown even bigger than that of my father's.

I spend hours upon hours scouting, shooting, prepping, doing everything I possibly can to keep myself connected to the outdoors.

I can honestly say that I cant imagine what I would be doing if I didn't hunt. I cant imagine life without it. Good luck with regaining your passion for the sport.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lately I've been feeling the urge to quit also.

I also got burnt out on hunting. I use to hunt West Virginia and PA. I wasn't a trophy hunter but instead my goal was to fill every tag I bought. I'd hunt with a rifle and bow. I'd schedule all my vacations during the various seasons. I was obsessed with filling those tags.

In a span of about 15 years I'd bag anywhere from 5 to 8 deer a year. None of the meat went to waste, by the way. My family would eat about 3 and the rest would go to friends and other family members that didn't hunt but liked deer meat.

Anyway, I think the actual killing is what I got tired of. I loved the "hunt" but lately the killing is what I am having a hard time with. Many times I'd walk up to a deer I just shot and ask myself " Why did I do that?"

As hard as it is to admit, it's actually brought me to tears a few times. I'd swear to myself that I was done. Then as next year would roll around I'd be out hunting.

During the last few years I've been taking my daughter and step-son. I haven't been doing as much killing since I let them shoot. I stilll got to do the "hunting" part of it, while they did the killing. It still bothered me a bit but it was outweighed by my excitement for the kids getting a deer.

Now that the kids are almost 18, They are more into other sports and don't hunt as much. They go the first day and thats about it.

But now I have another dilema. I have a feeder in the back yard. I have a doe that has ben visiting for the last 3 years. She has brought fawns with her the last two.

Anyway, this doe will let me sit by the feeder and come within about 3 ft of me. When I sit there and look into those trusting eyes, I really get a guilt trip. I start thinking of really giving it up for good. I'm the only one in the family that she will approach like this. If my wife or the kids try, she stands at the edge of the yard and watches but won't come in.

Sorry for rambling on but I just wanted to make the point, that I can relate to what you are going through. I spend lots of time on this forum and just reading about hunting makes me want to go. Then I look in the yard and see that doe with her fawns and I start having second thoughts.

Its a real see-saw ride, let me tell you.

I decided to try to just go out and enjoy the sights and sounds of the experience and not be worried about filling a tag. I'm also going to take a muzzleloader instead of a rifle and only shoot bucks with a bow.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:22 PM
Dominant Buck

chiefks

Sorry to hear about your situation, but I am glad you filled the void with the smoke poles.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:24 PM

my uncle told me a similar story to the one you said.. He had hunted every mornin he got the chance ever since he was 15 and some time in his 30's he got back to camp and said he was done..said he was sick of hunting..he picked up small mouth fishing for about 5 years..andsomehow got in on a turkey hunt and it must of reminded him how much he missed it because to this day he gets the most excited about dove/turkey/deer season.. He still loves to fish but he LOVES to hunt lol..Id say ul get over it sooner or later.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:07 PM

YES. I WENT THROUGH IT JUST RECENTLY!! But all i needed was a couple of good memories 2 pop in my head and a story about squirrel hunting in field and stream. now i'm just like i started. idk its like i got bored w/ it like for 4 months. it totally sux and i didnt feel too confident and unstressed anymore. but after reading stuff at night about small game hunting and listening to my friends, the fire is torched.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hope you get it back!!! We need you. And your children especially, if we are to keep this great tradition alive. Lets keep it burning!!!!
Old 09-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Slice,
If you want, I live right up the road from you. You can tag along with my son and I. When I turned 18 I enlisted in the Army and missed the next four years of hunting. To this day I remember the feelings that I had because I couldn't go. There are times now that I am sitting out in the woods think " what the hell am I doing". Then it dawns on me. As I sit there and listen, no traffic, no tv noise, just birds chriping, wind whistling through the trees. I brings me back to what I truly enjoy about hunting. The peace and quiet.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe your going through some sorta of MID Life Crisis, or Depression of some sort...

Could this be it?

Are there problems in your life that are depressing You? That the first sign of depression when you all of sudden dont do what you used to do.. Your passions dissappear...

Old 09-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Typical Buck

I hope you can find the passion again. I feel like I'll never loose mine, it does gets worse every year. Im dying for season to start here. I hav'ent been sleeping well in months. good luck with it bro.

Quick Reply: The fire is gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.