Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The fire is gone.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:12 PM

Default RE: The fire is gone.

I lost my desire to hunt about 16 years ago. 10 years went by and then all of a sudden it hit me and I was back into hunting like never before. It was fun buying all new equipment and clothing. My wallet wasn't happy but I was when I was out in the woods.

The scary thing now is that I'm really not into it this year. I have all my clothing washed and ready. Bow is ready and arrows have broadheads on them. Areas are all scouted but...
I don't know. I'm sure I will have to drag my butt out of bed and I am desperately hoping that it will all come rushing back when I am sitting on my stand.

Real life priorites take over. Maybe it's not worth the hassle with the wife. Other hobbies take my time. I'm just going to wait and see. I am definately hunting this year and I don't want to let my team down but I will see how I feel to make a decision about next year.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:33 PM

Slice,

I had a similar change of heart a few years back. Myself and the group I hunted with were essentially obsessed with arrowing deer. For a few years straight we'd hunt 5 + states and pile the venison up in serious numbers. I don't hunt with any of those guys any more. A few burnt out completely.

For me, what really rekindled my passion was new and different hunting experiences. When was the last time you went squirrel hunting? Ever try coyotes? Duck or goose or maybe grouse? A few years back I was sitting with my Dad's uncle just before he passedand we were talking about hunting and how much he loved it. He loved deer camp to be sure, but he said his favorite animal to hunt was rabbits. He commented that the young guys only seemed to be "deer" guys and many of those only "archery deer guys". Looking back on a life time of great hunts he would talk about pheasant hunts with a buddy and a good dog. Blinds on cold mornings with good friends. Deer camps, rabbit chases and dozens of other stories. I think less than 25% of the guys I know who hunt really hunt anything other than turkeys and deer.

I don't know if it will work for you, but I found trying to call in coyotes to be an extremely tough challenge. It also helped me find more hunting land and meet some nice people. Hunting with my bird dog and helping guys without dogs get a few birds each year has made "hunting" fun for me again. It may sound small, but one of my new favorite things to do is bring a chuck box and make really good meals in the field. Good food makes everything better! I also try to go on 1 "new" hunt each year, this year was Colorado elk and mule deer hunting.

As I get older I learn to just enjoy the hunt itself and the time afield. If it stops becoming fun, I stop and reassess. I still lovearchery hunting deer but I mix it up with other stuff so those long marathon sits don't feel like work.

Best of luck to you... hope it works out well for you.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:57 PM
Dominant Buck

I went through that about 10 years ago. I have been hunting on my own for 20+ years. I took off a season or two and just went out with my rifle. Rifle hunting is much easier than bow hunting. After about two years of just rifle shooting, I was back to wanting nothing but bows. No need to get disapointed, just take it easy and it will come back. If not, no biggie, just make your self happy. Hunting is an activity that should bring pleasure and relaxation, not stress. If you are feeling stressed about it, take it easy a while.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Typical Buck

I had those feeling a few years ago. I took a hunting trip to Wyoming and my fire was lite again. You get yourself a WI tag and you are more then welcome to join me for a week hunt in the north woods. Different view, different people, no stress,big deer, lots of laughs. I am serious now.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that what fuels our fire (our motives)is often what ultimately burns us out. For me, and I can't speak for anyone else, I wholeheartedly enjoy everything about hunting as long as hunt for the right reasons. For me those "right reasons" never compromise my spirituality, family or other prioritys. When I do compromise and push hunting above them, that's when I do not enjoy hunting. I have to keep myself in check, if I don't I would burn out.

Slice I have no idea what has you feeling this way, but as I read your post and others, I thought of the few times I have felt like just giving it all a break. What I realized in those times is that I had something else in my life that needed work.
The day hunting becomes like work for me, like a job, then I will most likely step away, refocus on the things that bring me the most happiness and inspiration. As long as I keep my priorities in line I enjoy hunting time to the max.

I hope for you and your sons sake that you guys get to enjoy many a memories being made in the outdoors. Best wishes. Keep us posted.

Troy
Old 09-12-2006, 02:44 PM

I know the feeling....my Dad went through that phase...growing up, that's what he did...he hunted, then he just stopped....didn't have that desire anymore....but it's back, he is very excited about hunting again, and has been for a few years....take your time....go back when your ready.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Site Buck Guru

I must be lucky. This will be the start of my 40th bow season. There was a short time when I slacked off, I still hunted though. In 1983 I picked up my first compound bow. I shot it with fingers for 10 years, then picked up a new one that I shot with a release. For the next 8 years I went crazy and became a tournament archer and shot for a bow company. HCA. Did pretty good, took 3rd at indoor nationals in 1999 (So did my son). I started hunting for mature bucks in 1991 when I was just a hunter and still shot fingers. I got 3 P&Y in a row. Then when shooting for HCA and tournaments, shooting the bow became so important, it took time away from my hunting priorities. After a while, shooting became like a second job. I went back to my roots and began hunting for mature bucks again. I had the shooting down pat so I resumed the intense scouting and learning about deer again. I got 4 more P&YS. Ever since I was a kid I've been an animal person. I love animals. Went to school for a while to be a vetrinarian. Oops, became an electrician instead. Anyway, the thing that makes me tick are deer themselves. They just facinate me. Ever hear anybody exclaim " Look! Squirells!" Maybe, but not like if it were deer. I love studying deer. Mature bucks most of all, wow. The more I learn about deer, the better hunter I become. I live for this. I'm starting to get creaky so I'm going for it as long as I can. My fire is bigger than its ever been.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:00 PM

5 years ago I gave up bow hunting. Totally quit with the exception ofa 2 day hog hunt that I went on with some friends and my brother. I have health issues and although I can draw a bow and hold it easy, I'm not very steady. Poor accuracy is the result of that.Hanging tree stands became a job that I dreaded doing. Bow hunting deer was no longer fun for me. Something had to change if I was going to continue deer hunting. I love being in the woods, seeing the sunrise and sunset, watching the birds & critters, enjoying the peace and solitude of it all.People wonder why we hunt, if they only knew. If they only gave it a honest chance. A friend loaned filled his early season muzzle loader tag 5 days before the season closed. He loaned me the gun and all the stuff for it. I went and purchased my deer tag for a muzzle loader/rifle and had 3 days to hunt. I've never looked back.I passed several small bucks and does up. Not bad since I had done no scouting. Fall turkey season runs the same as archery season so I hunt those when I am not deer hunting.I'm not a trophy hunter, but I'm not going to shoot any buck that walks by. If I shoot a buck he's going to be a mature animal. Other wise I would rather take a nice doe. I know alot of you think rifle hunting is easy because you can shoot further. But honestly, its not any different than bow hunting. Each has its own challenges that you need to over come to be sucessful... at least for me. Spend a few days in the woods, I bet you won't be sorry you did. I fully agree with what some one else said to... take a kid with you and pass it on.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: slicendice
Nodog, I live in PA, but I have never hunted in PA. I do all of my hunting in MD.
I don't really know anyone else who doesn't hunt their home state.

Up to you, but I'm curios to know the reason. Always interests me to know the effects of things. Pa's been in the spot light for a few years. Seems to be many unhappy hunters. Wondering if there's a connection.

Just curious.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

I know what you are feeling a few years ago I had the same lack of desire to go out. I bought my license and went out after a few days the desire to be out slowly returned. Last year iii had a disappointing year with the herd reduction PAGC is now undertaking and I thought what am I doing wasting all this time sitting on stand to see 15 deer all season long. But as sure as the leaves will turn color there I was buying my license and scouting. Buy your license and go out maybe all it will take to get that feeling to return is hearing that crunch of a big buck in the fallen leaves. Only to have him turn before entering your shooting lane have faith the feeling will return

Quick Reply: The fire is gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.