Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need some advice

Old 09-11-2006, 09:36 PM

Default RE: Need some advice

well this may sound kinda violent but if i seen them in the woods i would shoot them period.
isnt there a law if dogs are chasing dear you can shoot them...i think there is here in MN...so tell anyone that it was chasing a dear if they complain...
you should not have to not partake in one of yur favorite sports just because some strangers dog is running wild
Old 09-11-2006, 09:36 PM

I was bitten on my face by a dogwhen I was really young, and I dont think I would hesitate to kill it if the owner was warned,it was large enough to harm me, andit was ruining my hunting. Idont believe an arrow is an un-humane way to fix the problem.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sucks your in that spot. The guy maybe has tried to keep the dogs penned but they get out. Then again he might just be the type to not care that there are other people in the world. I like Robs advise. If the guy doesn't have the sense of responsibility to keep the dogs safe during hunting season, he really doesn't care all that much about them. If they are a threat, you could be saving someones kid from harm.More than enough reason to do something.

Good example of why it's important to have many and continue to look for places to hunt.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Fork Horn

When I was about 16 we had a problem w/ the nieghbor's Chows eating our ducks. My Grandfather advised me to skip school one day & take care of it. 2 arrows = 2 dead chows = happy ducks.

***Ryan if you are reading this somewhere out there.... It's been 14 yrs, sorry I never told you but ya just don't mess w/ Papa's ducks.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:57 PM

you are entitled by law to protect yourself against threat

only you can determine that threat, and if you feel you need to kill the dogs to save harm to yourself, do it
Old 09-12-2006, 04:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like target practice. Funny thing, their vitals are in about the same spot as deer.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:15 AM

Tough spot. If it came down to me or some dogs. I will win every time. Whatever that entails. Just make sure to give the owner a fair and friendly warning. If he wants to ignore the situation, then he will have to live with it if the dogs just don't come home one day.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:37 AM

Since one of the dogs already bit a kid and the guy continues to let the dogs run wild SHOOT THEM. Make sure you kill them and they don't limp back home. Dig a hole and burry them. If anyone asks you never seen the dogs. The last thing you need is some animal cruelty charges filed against you. People always come before dogs.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:40 AM
Fork Horn

Is there a leash law where you are? If so call the local police and let them know that this fella is letting his Dobermans roam freely. If they don't take care of the situation contact the game warden or an animal control officer. But like statedbefore I would bring peper spray as a precaution. Don't kill thedogs because then you may unfortunately get charged with animal cruelty.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: monster10rackstack

Talk to the owner and then if the problem continues shoot them

Easier said than done. Most state laws prohibit the shooting of any dogs running on private land unless its a coyote or other game dog. The only people that have the authority to shoot running dogs are game wardens and local, and county police depts. I would first, talk to the owner of the land, second, talk to the owner of the dogs, then talk to the wardens/police, if that doesnt work spray the dogs with pepper spray if they come near you, if the owner of the dogs come back on you and say you sprayed his dogs all you have to do is say you felt threatend by the dogs. If the owner of the dogs have had problems in the past and local loaw enforcement knows about it they will elan on your side more than the dog owners.

Quick Reply: Need some advice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.