Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Anatomy REVIEW..

Old 09-10-2006, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer Anatomy REVIEW..

mathewsboy and washington hunter thanks for posting the two diagrams. i know where to aim at an animal, but it is always nice to have a friendly reminder. im sure there are many new and young hunters on this site and this makes them realize where things are in the animals body. i dont care what any says, i think it was nice to see them diagrams on the site!!

THANKS GUYS!
Old 09-10-2006, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Nice Pic. Thanks for posting!

TP
Old 09-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yea.....I get it. I still think it is embarrassing to have to post anatomy review in a hunting forum. This is info we were all supposed to be taught long ago and should be known by any bowhunter like the back of his hand. Think about it.......if you don't know this how can you possibly pick a spot to aim at?? I think the picture is great and I ike your's better too.......it belongs in a hunter ed class rather then here IMO. Posting it here as review implies there are some people who don't know this.......and I hope that is not true.
Kind of embarrassing to think that this actually needs to be posted in a hunting forum. How do you obtain a hunting license without knowing this? Every state has hunter ed courses right?
Kinda like not knowing if you shot doe or a buck[&:] I know in my hunter ed course I was taught to know what you're shooting.

Point is I have a youth hunter who has never hunted deer before, he took Hunters Ed three years ago. These post have been very helpful. I have him print them out and look at them. Today we shot 3-d and we had the picture and studied where to shoot. What angles to shoot and where to aim. All very helpful, I have tracked over hundred deer in my life time. I still read the tracking post, I just like to keep refreshed. Kinda like Jack Nicklaus, greatest golfer in the world. What did he go back and work on every year? The basics, because he knew to be great it is the little things. These are our basics, and we all can better ourselves.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Pass_Thru

Id tend to think Atlas is in the minority in his thinking of this.

Jason
So you think most hunters don't know a deer's anatomy?? Man I hope that's not true.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:00 PM

ORIGINAL: JeremiahJohnson

I'm sure this site isn't exclusively for accomplished bow hunters.
You really think you have to be an accomplished bow hunter to know a deer's anatomy?? I would hope even the most inexperienced hunters would at least know that much before entering the woods. After all they are shooting at these things and trying to kill them. Don't you think it is important that they know where to aim??

Maybe it's time we stop sending kids out into the woods with nothing more then "aim behind the shoulder" in their toolbox.

What the heck are they teaching in bowhunter ed classes if people don't know anatomy??
Old 09-10-2006, 09:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Ray Hunter 42

Well im kinda glad this was posted. Like i now everything thats in those picture off the top of my head except for one thing. I was always told to shoot right behing the shoulder. Acourding to those pics if you shoot for the center of the shoulder you should double lung it. Am i right?
Or does every one say shoot behind the shoulder so you dont have to go threw all the meat that the shoulder has in it?

Old 09-10-2006, 09:04 PM

ORIGINAL: txrookie

There are hunters in TX that don't have to take a hunter ed course. If you were born before 9/2/71 it is not required.
That's a shame.

Ther could be and probably are hunters out there that don't know this basic info. They are probably the same guys that are at hunt camp to get drunk and get away from the ol lady and don't care about ethics at all. Sad but true that these guys are out there.
That's embarrassing.

I'm 45 years old and just completed hunters ed today. I went with my 12 year old nephew who wanted my company. I have hunted for years without benefit of the course. I got educated by the people that taught me how to hunt, my dad and older brother. I aced the test BTW. And it was a lot of fun. Now my nephew can hunt with me and that is the important thing. He won't be bow hunting this year but after he gets a bow for Christmas we'll get him ready for next season.
Sounds cool...........glad you got a young guy started the right way.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Atlas, do you always have to stir the pot?

Seriously.

Why is thinking that someone should have basic anatomical knowledge of the animal he is licensed to shoot and kill "stirring the pot"??
Old 09-10-2006, 09:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sadly, we shouldn't have to post pictures of deer anatomy to help our fellow hunters know the anatomy of a deer, the truth of the matter is that we all start somewhere. If we are not here to help one another expand our knowledge, why be here. All have the ablility to teach, learn, aid, assist or be corrected by another. When I stop learning I suppose I'll be 6' under. I don't know how to rebuild my Titans engine but I sure can drive the hell out of it. A hunter might be a crack shot, never missing an animal nor ever not recovered one and still not know the anatomy of the animal he hunts.

Hell I layed in a hospital bed for 3 weeks because I lit some gasoline with a Bic lighter on a humid day, you would have thought I'd know better at the age of 23? We live, we learn, sometimes the hard way. ya'll should relax a little and help a guy out.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:16 PM

ORIGINAL: atlasman

Kind of embarrassing to think that this actually needs to be posted in a hunting forum. How do you obtain a hunting license without knowing this? Every state has hunter ed courses right?
My thoughts EXACTLY.[&:]

Quick Reply: Deer Anatomy REVIEW..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.