Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Perfect aim but arrow over the deer

Old 09-09-2006, 07:54 PM

Default Perfect aim but arrow over the deer

I never learned to hunt when I was young and my wife bought me a bow last year so I started to practice and learn to shoot it. Last year I went out a few times to hunt deer but with no success. Now I have done a lot more research and have scouted an area where deer like to frequent. Yesterday morning I was hunting from a blind and 3 doe were 20 yards from my blind. I have shot a 20 yard shot over 1000 times and never miss. When I took the shot however it went straight over the shoulders of the deer. It looked like the deer dropped it's body after I released the shot. I have yet to get my first deer so this was new to me and I have not read anything on it. Does a deer commonly drop it's body when you shoot your bow and if so how do you prevent this or get a good shot.
Any suggestions would be GREAT.
KLer73
Old 09-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Perfect aim but arrow over the deer

yup thats common but even more common when the deer are startled or spooked, if they are spooked aim for the heart not the lungs
Old 09-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes kler, it's called "jumping the string". A deers instinct is to drop down to "load up"and to take off.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

I get the same thing somtimes dont worry about it!
Old 09-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kler73
join the crowd. you aint the first to have this happen. its happened to me several times over the years. alot of times this will happen if a deer is nervous and knows something is not right or is looking at you when you make the shot. it is common for a deer to drop its body when an arrow is on the way if it knows something is wrong. another thing to think about, is the bow your shooting loud when shot. this could cause that to happen.
alot of people aim at the lower 1/3 of a deer to kind of compensate if a deer ducks a little.hope this helps and better luck next time.
Dan
Old 09-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

She won that one didn't she? They don't always drop but it's common. It depends on the nerves of the deer in question. Aim on the lower third of the body so if they drop, you can still maybe get a good shot, if they don't drop, your heart/lungs. I bet it was exciting tho?
Old 09-09-2006, 08:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shake it off, it does happen. Don't make the mistake and aim low anticipating the drop because I missed a brute of a buck last year because of that. He was nervous, I aimed low and watched my arrow sail just under his chest nearly shaving hair. Exactly where I was aiming, he never dropped. I'll never compensate again.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

mine tonight jumped the string but i got here and never ever compensate for it it will elve you srying like rob said
Old 09-09-2006, 11:04 PM

I've never had one "jump the string", make sure you bow is quiet and wait for the right shot.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

A nervous or suspicious deer is more likely to do this than a calm, relaxed one. Watch the body language of the deer in question. If it isn't calm or is acting like it suspects something's up, you should aim for the lowest part of the kill zone to compensate for it dropping.

Quick Reply: Perfect aim but arrow over the deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.