Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Perfect aim but arrow over the deer

Old 09-10-2006, 04:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Perfect aim but arrow over the deer

Bummer. Tough pill to swallow. You kind of understand now why guys are so hyped up about the equipment they use. A quieter, faster bow (more money, I only ask what will it take anymore,the cost is irrelevant), better concealment, more refined hunting skills all play a part in taking animals thatare so good at staying alive, even ones as big as a whitetails.

Calm down and next time don't miss. It's the advise I give myself.

You were in a blind. Does that mean you were shooting up at the deer from a seated position? Have you practised it that way? I can say that I have shot higher when practising that shot. Right over the target.

Just trying to rev up your determination to not let that happen again.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

Good points folks. Also if your unsure if the deer is spooked like said before Aim for the lower parts of the vitals, but not below the deer. If it spooks and squats you'll hit more on center, and if not you'll still hit vitals. I'll never aim below a an animal. And if I miss it wasn't the animal time.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

I missed a 6 point a few years ago . I had read soooo much about deer jumping the string beyond 20 yards so I aimed low on the buck at 32 yards figuring he would drop and i'd be right on target . Wrong ! He never dropped at the sound . He just turned around and walked off ......
Old 09-10-2006, 11:17 PM
Typical Buck

I sympathize, kler. Last year, I had the opposite happen. The biggest spike (~12-14 inch spikes) buck I ever saw jumped my string. My arrow actually caught a tuft of white hair from his chest in its nock as he jumped up. Unfortunately, it hit him in the left front leg, but didn’t kill him. I kept the tuft and incorporated it into a necklace that I wear whenever I bowhunt, so I don’t forget the experience and let it happen again!
Old 09-12-2006, 06:58 PM

I had a crazy opening weekend shot at a coyote saturday morning, he wasaroundten yards but quartering tworard mean looking right atme. I got a bloody arrow but the blood trail was sparitic and started thining out I hate to say it But it dosen't really bother me much, I'm just glad I got my arrow back,I wish I had killed it though never got anything with my bow.

then on sunday I see a nice 7 or 8 about 20-25 yards from me, I waited till he was behind a tree to get up, my release tapped my stand, I frozehe started trotting off and I stopped him with my grunt call I figured he was about 35 yards away (I had yardage marked another direction but none that way!) I put my 35 yard pin on him (here's my mistake) center of the kill zone and released he bolted immeditatly and I watched in horror as my arrow flew over his back. my heart sank.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wave, I will not berate you in front of all these fine people, but because that did not bother you very much I will leave you with these words. Chose your shots more wisely in the future and respect the animal you are trying to harvest.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Shake it off, it does happen. Don't make the mistake and aim low anticipating the drop because I missed a brute of a buck last year because of that. He was nervous, I aimed low and watched my arrow sail just under his chest nearly shaving hair. Exactly where I was aiming, he never dropped. I'll never compensate again.
I did pretty much the same thing a few years ago with a 6 point . Apparently he didn't read the part about jumping the string because he never dropped . He just turned around and walked back in the direction he had come from ......
Old 09-12-2006, 07:37 PM

I guess that might have come out a little wrong. I don't think that the shot was fatal. and it was bookin' it on the way out of there. I diddn't intend to wound it but thats What happened I tried hard to locate it. and I waited a long time to go find it (looking back that might have been the problem If it was a mussle shot). Me and my best friend spent two or three hours trailing it the blood trail go really thin. It's just diffrent than a deer we got problems with coyotes around here.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:50 PM

A deer's first intinct when startled is to move down to gain momentum to run. So make sure your bow is quiet so they dont jump the string. its hard to judge when you are shooting it so next time shoot with someone and have them listen to it. If it is shooting loud then try some string leeches and limb savers.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh yeah forgot to say the other night ym deer was very nervous due to some loud neighbors

Quick Reply: Perfect aim but arrow over the deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.