Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Game Camera -useage question

Old 09-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Game Camera -useage question

Couple Questions for the Game camera gang.

1) how long do you typically leave a camera before you check it?

2) how long before the season will you quit using it and thus quit frequenting the area?

Me I usually leave them for 4-5 days

And I will quit getting pics in my #1 spot now, a full3 weeks prior to season. I will continue to use my camera in different areas just cuz it's so much fun!
Old 09-08-2006, 12:27 PM

Default RE: Game Camera -useage question

every 2 weeks or soo at lease thats what i try. i use it all season
Old 09-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

well i check mine everyday because its basically in my back yard and it doesnt spook the deer no matter how much i go up there

Old 09-08-2006, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

I check mine about every 2-3 weeks and I keep them up year around.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I check them once per week and i leave them out all season. during the season is an important time to use the camera. if i'm not getting pictures of deer in a spot then i'm not going to hunt there. knowing that there are deer near where i hunt out weighs the risk of spooking deer out of the woods. besides i hunt land that is adjacent to land that is HEAVILY squirrel hunted. my land is a peacefull paradise, even with the cameras!
Old 09-08-2006, 02:56 PM

The ones that I built myself I'll check every 7 to 14 days or sometimes longer during the "off season" They run on 6 volt gell cells or 9 volt batteries which last forever.

I just bought some wildview cameras that killed a set of C-cells in about 10 days (not sure because they were dead when I got there). No pictures either!!!!

I don't usually hunt the immediate areas I have a camera setup, but I if I plan to I'll take it out a month before the season starts. I don't think it spooks them, but I could be wrong you know!
Old 09-08-2006, 04:56 PM

Depends on alot of factors. I have a homebrew that is set up for trails, way faster than a Cuddeback, but it does not have toomuch battery or memory capacity. Since it is set up for fast trail use, I use it more for immediate "tactical" value, i.e. real time patterning of current deer movements. It doesn't stay put very long.

A feedercam that is IR and has alot of battery capacity and memory can stay out a long time, generally just swap batteries and cards whenever the feeder gets filled.

It just really varies according to what you are trying to accomplish with the camera.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I check mine every two weeks and leave them from July till Jan.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:54 PM

I check my mine once a week and average around 150 pics per week per camera. My Moultrie 200 is set to snap 2 pics upon each trigger, so they tend to add up fast. I've gotten some good pics that I would have missed if I didn't have it on double pics. I have 2 moultrie 200s with solar chargers and 2 wildviews that run on C batt's. The moultrie needs to be recharged every 2 months or so and the Wildview lasts for about 3 or 4 days. I don't know how I ever hunted without game cameras. They take the guess work right out of the equation.