Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Kisser button...

Old 09-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Kisser button...

I think using as many tools as possible helps to be consistant. I use a peep and a kisser. I've tried going with one or the other and things just aren't consistant at all.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used one for a long time. I always anchored my thumb behind my neck, so now I can do that and still have the same anchor point. I like the idea of added consistency.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Bullseyes every time.
WOW, every time?

I just don't experience the speed reductions that are always supposed to happen with things like tubed peep sights, string silencers, etc. My bow shoots the exact same speed post adding a rubber tube and peep and I was told it would slow it down 3-5 fps. Not that it would make any difference anyway, but I doubt adding a kisser would make any recognizable difference. If you think it would make you more consistent, use it.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think huntingson hit the nail on the head. I personally believe a kisser does help with a consistant anchor point.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same problem. Put a kisser on and my groups improved alot.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:16 PM

The kisser button is meant to be an alternitive to using a peep, you really just don't need both. Heck I shoot pretty well without either, but I am more accurate with a peep, especially at longer distances.

After reading what you said I don't think a kisser button will help you. It may in the start, but before long you will most likely have the same problems. If you don't draw consistantly now how are going to set the kisser in the correct spot? And how is the kisser button going to work for you if don't even touch the string to your face now? If you don't use the anchor points you already have consistantly I don't see how adding another is going to help you. A kisser button is the least consistant anchor point you can have. And it sounds like you intend on relying on it to set your anchor. I think this is a bad idea. I just don't see the point unless you are shooting without a peep, and then I still wouldn't use one personally.

I think you need to work on your form and consistancy from shot to shot, not add another gizmo to your bow. Just my opinion though.

You should have around 5 anchor points as it is. The string to the tip of your nose, the string touching your lips or corner of your mouth (where you would put the kisser button), the fletchings of the arrow touching your face somewhere between your lips and chin, where your release hand touches your face, and your peep sight.

A properly set peep sight should be directly in your line of sight at full draw. You should be able to draw the bow with your eyes closed hitting all your other anchor points, then when you open your eyes the peep should be right there. You shouldn't have to shift your head around or bend down into the string to line up with it. There is no way you should be drawing your bow away from your face. If you can draw your bow and not touch your face chances are you have too long of a draw possibly. Or you are afraid of touching the string to your face.

You should NOT be able to rest your thumb on the back of your neck. This is bad form and if you can do it your draw length is too long or your release is too long. Both will cause the same problems.

I think you need to have someone look at your form and how you shoot. Then work on correcting these problems. I would love to tell you that you could add a 3 dollar kisser to your bow and it would solve all your problems. However I just don't feel that is the case.

You don't have to buy a kisser either, you could just put a knot on your string with some serving material or string loop material.

Another thing people use is a Noser, basically a small knot on the string where the string touches the tip of your nose.

And the only thing either of these will cure is being off high or low from shot to shot. It shouldn't make a difference with left to right misses. That is another issue you would need to work on.

Paul
Old 09-08-2006, 02:22 PM

try it with a kisser and then without.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've tried both and I'm more accurate with a larger peep and centering the round sight housing in the peep. Adding a kisser along with a peep would certainly not give me additional accuracy.

You sure can see great without a peep though. I might try a no-peep next year.