Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

atv noise...

Old 09-05-2006, 09:26 PM

Default atv noise...

I'll be hunting private land that I've had access to the last couple years. It's a good mile walk in to my stand and on rough hilly terrain, so I would like to use my atv to cut that distance down. don't get my wrong I have no problem with walking a ways but I just don't want to get all sweaty on my way there. The farmer that owns the place is always riding around on his atv doing different stuff, but he rarely gets as close to their bedding area as I would be. Do you think it would spook them much, or would I be better off just walkin the whole way in? and if I was to use the atv would the exhaust getting on my camo be a problem?
Old 09-06-2006, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: atv noise...

It may not spook them, but I'll bet it alerts them to the fact that there are poeple around. Try driving it half way or try a bike if you have a decent trail.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:00 AM

as long as that motor is hittin a lick, i don't think the deer will mind at all. deer on farms get very used to motors. i think turning it off will bother them more than anything, so give them time to calm down.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:19 AM

Some are from the opinion that if you had someone drive you directly to the foot of your stand and drop off/pick up it would be better than you sneaking around on foot trying to be quiet to get to your stand. Depending on the location of your stand, hearing engine noise is not all that uncommon or alarming to deer. It's when it shuts off that gets them nervous.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

If your area is frequented with atvs like ous is, the noise doesnt bother them.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I leave mine in the truck until I need to get a deer out of the woods. God knows I could stand losing a few pounds. I worry more about exhaust odor than noise. I don't want to stink of oil, gas, or exhaust.I will keep walking and try to enjoy what God has given us on the way in and out. I also try to take my time and not break a sweat if I can help it.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:14 AM

I leaning the same way...it's a bit of a walk, but it's completely worth it if it doesn't spook anything. I'll just have to go slow and try my best to keep from sweating.
I think if I did use my atv I would be paranoid wondering if it spooked them or not also.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:31 AM

I had the same problem on some ground I hunt in Illinios. I was affraid it would affect the movement,so i just ride half way and walkedthe other half. The key is not to forget the wind,it might not bother the younger bucks and does but the bigger bucks on the property will know something isnot right.When I keep the wind in my favor I don't notice any diffrence from when I walked in. I also spray down really good with scent killer after I get off of the quad.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Exhaust fumes are the biggest problem and scent eliminators will do nothing for that. They only attack bacteria. I have a neighbor who is retired. Hehas a giant shooting house that is next to my property overlooking a saddle (that's 99% on his property, my corner hits just a few feet below the saddle). He drives his atv right to the stand and parks it. He also drives in just at first light. (this is EVERY day during gun and blackpowder season, thankfully he doesn't hunt bow season) He still kills nice deer but he can reach out with that gun. I still see deer and I'm not too far from his stand (a couple hundred yards). For bow I wouldn't use it. Carry your clothes in a pack and just wear as light of clothes as you can. If your cold when you start out you probably have just enough clothes. LOL
Old 09-06-2006, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just for the record I believe in scent control but sometimes things make me think otherwise.

I have a buddy that rides his ATV to his blind every single time that he hunts. This is not an area that sees a whole bunch of ATVs since the area is off limits to them unless you have a dune buggy that can be tagged. He gets his deer every year and usually within 60 yards. This is an older ATV that is covered in oil and grime.

Tom

Quick Reply: atv noise...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.