Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead tuning

Old 09-03-2006, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Broadhead tuning

how do you tune a bh mine are flying great but a little low and i would wonder if tuning them would get them to fly right without adjusting the sight
Old 09-03-2006, 11:27 PM

Default RE: Broadhead tuning

OneShot,
I assume by saying that your BH's are hitting low you mean lower than your field points and you're shooting the same weight BH as your FP's.

I'd suggest that you take a look at the tuning guide at www.eastonarchery.com. If your BH's are hitting lower than FP's, the tuning guide will suggest your move your rest UP. Move the rest in small (1/32") increments.

I had the same situation when preparing for turkey season (BH's were 6" lower than FP's at 60 yards). I moved my rest up 1/32", BH's then were only 3" low. I then moved the rest up another 1/32". My FP's and BH's were grouping well at 60 yards.

Any slight tuning problems will be magnified after you add broadheads to the equation. If your arrow is leaving the bow just slightly point low the blades will act like vanes and steer the arrow low.

Watch your adjustment marks and just make the rest adjustments in very small increments at a time and you'll be fine.

Rog
Old 09-06-2006, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

In addition to Roger's advice, I'd suggest investing in a G5 tool. It will shave high spots off your insert. It definitely helped me.Before you trim your insert, colorit with a markerso you can see exactly where the high spots are. When properly trimmed, all evidence of the marker willbe gone.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Paper tune your bow to get a slight high tear. Then spin test your broad heads. If you have no wobble, shot them. I have found when a bow is tuned with a slight high tear, it will spit broad heads well. Only other problem you might find, is some fixed heads will plan out a little and fly funny. But if they are grouping, and are of similar grain as your field point, Id suggest retuning your bow.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

i had the same problem. to correct it i moved the nock a HAIR lower. i had perfect tears with FPs in the paper tune..had perfect flight...and smashing arrows together at 35yd..but BHs were about 3-4 inches low at 15yds. i could moved the site down but i enjoy shooting..but hate shooting broadheads because it chews up targets quick. so moving the nock a HAIR low fixed it for me. i dont know if theres a real way to move a nock. i used pliers and pulled it..which was tough...and i took serving with me once because i was moving it too far..but it did work. i guess you could also nudge the rest UP. but i dont like playing with the rest. exspecially mine...quick tune my butt. you loosen one screw and it will fall down and sideways throwing you way off lol...been down that road. so the second time around i opted to move the nock..and it worked. good luck