Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lone Wolf Climber??? Yes or no?

Old 09-03-2006, 05:35 PM

Default Lone Wolf Climber??? Yes or no?

Hello, I've always been a fan of API stands, but the idea of no pins or holes to line up when mounting a treestand appeals to me...especially in cold weather when it becomes even more difficult. I am considering the Lone Wolf Alpha climber. It is an expensive rig, so I want to make sure I'll be happy. Anyone with direct experience who can share infor. would be greatly appreciated...most specifically, how easy to mount on the tree, fold for packpacking and ease of climbing. Thanks!!

Red
Old 09-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lone Wolf Climber??? Yes or no?

Straight up, the best stand you can buy. Light weight, easy to set-up, and packs the best of anything on the market. Worth the extra coin!
Old 09-03-2006, 06:43 PM

Thanks, Lone Wolf...appropriate that you should reply.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

I am also looking into getting the same stand. I am now useing a API stand that's getting a bit old. The plastic covering the chain is shreaded. thios makes it noisey to carry , not to mention heavy. I am going to go with a Lone wolf.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:51 PM

Best of luck to you this season, JimBow.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:01 PM

I am new to the forum, so forgive my ignorance. Some forums have sponsors that offer discounts to members (such as someone looking to buy a Lone Wolf Treestand )...does this forum have such sponsors. Best regards to all,

Red
Old 09-04-2006, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer the Lone Wolf sit and climb, pricey but you usually get what you pay for.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:31 PM
Spike

I purchased the Lone Wolf Hand Climber last September and used it all of last season. I am extremely well pleased with it with a few simple modifications:

1. The seat is uncomfortable: I added an inexpensive closed cell foam pad over the original seat (held on with camo duct tape): much better.

2. I do not use either of the recommended methods to ascend/descend: too gymnastic. Instead, I sit on the seat and pull up the platform with the two straps that secure the seat to the platform. I then stand on the platform to raise the seat (and the safety harness). I simply repeat until I reach the height that I want.

Descending is similar; however, to aid in going down I added a loop of wire at the front of the platform. I let out slack on the two nylon straps, grasp them between my knees with one hand, use the other hand around the tree behind me to help me balance, and lift the front of the platform with my foot using the loop of wire. This disengages the platform back from the tree and allows me to lower the platform with the nylon straps. It sounds complicated, but it is actually pretty simple and a whole lot easier than the recommended method: your weight is resting on the seat as you raise/lower the platform.

3. I like the bow holder integrated into the platform and use it all the time, but the rubber grommet can easily come out of the bow holder space. To secure the grommet in place I use some camo duct tape.

I just went to my property in the country today to prepare four spots for the upcoming season. In each spot I climbed using the Lone Wolf, trimmed branches as needed, then came back down with no problem.

I have thought about purchasing the sit-n-climb seat portion (Lone Wolf allows you to do that: approximately $140), but I am still undecided: the "hand climber" is sufficiently comfortable for my typical 4 hour hunts and my modified ascend/descend method is just as easy as the sit/climb method. If I wanted to spend longer times in the stand, I might more seriously consider the sit-n-climb.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Spike

By the way, I love the light weight and compact size of the Lone Wolf Hand Climber. This is the reason that I chose it over the Summit and I am not disappointed. Also, the Lone Wolf belt arrangement (rather than a chain or plastic covered cable with stops) allows fine adjustment of the platform angle when placed at the bottom of the tree: a very important consideration in order to end up with a level platform at the desired height.

I have read of some manufacturer having the ability to adjust the platform angle safely while up in the tree: this would be a great advantage and is something the Lone Wolf cannot do. Instead, you need to guess the proper amount of upward angle at the bottom of the tree to end up with a level platform when you reach your desired height.

Note, finally, that the Lone Wolf will mark the tree. I expect that all climbers will do the same, but I only have experience with the Lone Wolf. They claim that it does not hurt the tree and I am taking their word for it, but the seat/platform teeth definitely leave gouges in the tree.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:46 PM

Thanks to all for the great responses and informative posts.

Quick Reply: Lone Wolf Climber??? Yes or no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.