Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Logging property during season...

Old 09-03-2006, 12:03 PM

Default Logging property during season...

It was just confirmed that the property I bowhunt, as well as the neighboring properties, are going to be "select" logged this fall.They are talking hard maples, walnuts, and a few beech 18" and over. I think its close to 200 trees on our farm (80 Acres). How will this effect myseason?They are leaving all the"tops" in the riverbottoms. One positive is that they cannot work in the month of November. They are supposed to start in the middle ofSept./ beggining of Oct. Ive heard that deer hangaround for the fresh "tops". Any thoughts???
Old 09-03-2006, 12:16 PM

Default RE: Logging property during season...

You will see the movement late and early in the day. The lay downs will be great next year for hunting. It will help your hunting in the long run but it will be tough this year. Don't give up though. When the bucks start to look for doe's you will see deer. They won't leave all together. Just change their patterns. Stick with it. It will pay off in the future.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I ran into that a few years back. The deer get used to the loggers and skidders. I killed one of my nicer bucks not 20 minutes after a skidder drove by 75 yds awayfrom me. You'll probably have to do some on the fly adjusting. but your season won't be ruined.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its happened to me a few times.

The bad part is, that when you finally think you have the deer all figured out and patterned, the logging will change everything. At least that's been my experience.

Had the woods right beside our house timbered a few years ago. They took all the big white oaks and cherry. Hasn't been the same since.

Old 09-04-2006, 08:12 AM

Yeah, I hope that this will not be to big of a issue....I really have high hopes for this season, as last year I let a number of bucks go to try get a crack at them this year. Time will tell....