Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Camo help

Old 08-30-2006, 08:06 PM

Default Camo help

Im going hunting for the first time this fall in Ontario, Canada. The environment is probably alot like the north eastern united states.

As far as buying camoflage goes, I know that breathability is important, but so is keeping warm when our talking about temperatures between 50 and 15 degrees.

also I've heard you need to pick a fabric which wont make noise when it brushes up against tree branches or bushes.

I dont know which fabrics do all this, any advice on brands, materials and how to layer them?

Old 08-30-2006, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Camo help

I don't know about Canada since I've never been there. But I have some Mossy oak made by Columbia and its really quiet. It's 100% cotton
Old 08-30-2006, 08:26 PM

Fleece and Wool are almost silent in the woods.

Pick an open pattern that doesn't blob, something like Predator or ASAT.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Typical Buck

Wool Is a good fabric for wide range temp hunting. It is allso very quiet.I use it inearly sep for bow hunting to late seasoin yote hunting.

I am not a big camo buff Half the deer I kill I am in jeens and a green shirt[wool] It has few white specks. It is better than most camo in ever greens and willows. You will get caught from movement way befor bad camo will give you away.

Are you rifle hunting. If so most places incanada you will have to use a white/orange/yellow jump suit any way.

Good luck on you hunt.
Charles
Old 08-30-2006, 08:44 PM
Typical Buck

They have good fleece now that is water and wind proof. I like a good warm fleece underneath with a wool outer when its really cold
Old 08-30-2006, 08:44 PM

i dont think that a pattern is really the important thing. just pick something that is quiet when you rub it together. waterproof is nice if thats in your buget. as far as layering goes, i have lived and hunted in minnesota all my life and the best way to go is 1) long underware 2) some sort of fleece 3) something that cuts the wind. do that and you should be fine