Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pendulum Sights?

Old 08-30-2006, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pendulum Sights?

ORIGINAL: antlerchaser

gzg38b I beg to differ and so does my taxidermist .
I'm not saying they DON'T work or that you won't be accurate. What I am saying is they are completely unnecessary unless you are hunting 40 or 50 feet high in a tree. Who does that?

Another example - You are 20 feet high shooting at a deer 20 yards away. The pendulum will "compensate" for the actual distance of 21.1 yards. I don't care if it's 21.1 or 20. I'm using my 20 yard pin regardless.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:07 PM

Well , the bottom line is that we both are confident in are equipment and that is all that counts to me.BTW- If your only 15 or 20 feet off the ground , may as well use a ground blind .
Old 08-30-2006, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I happen to have a Vital Bow Gear Camelback Pendulum and like it a lot. I keep it locked down and sighted at 20 yards most of the time. But when I was trying out the pendulum mode, it allowed me to be dead on accurate from 5 yards on out to maybe 25-30. The only thing a pendulum has a problem with is a downslope an upslope because it can't compensate for the terrain. If you have flat land, then a pendulum can be a useful sight.

Lefthanded Reflex Highlander / Lefty NAP Quiktune 1000 / Lefty VBG Camelback Pendulum

Old 08-30-2006, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I were to try a pendulum it would be the VBG like ButchA has. I have never seen the need for one though.

Butch, can't tell from that picture, but have you ever though of putting some fleece on that arrow shelf? Surecan help cut down on the noise if that arrow falls off the rest. Of course it could just be I'm not use to the "backwards" left handed bow
Old 08-30-2006, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

LOL!!

Actually, no, I don't have any fleece on the bows arrowshelf. I have the Highlander setup so the Beman ICS Hunter 340's sit nicely and evenly in the prongs. But yeah, true, an arrow could easily bounce out/off, but I am careful with my setup.

Also, regarding the pendulum. I have shot the Reflex Highlander and VBG Camelback pendulum on flat level ground all the way out to 30 yards without a problem. My single pin is sighted dead on for 20 yards (just like VBG says to do). At 30 yards, I hit about 3" or so low too, so the sight is really great and accurate. When shooting in pendulum mode, I shot it at 5 yards and was dead on, then shot it at a weird 17 yards from 15' on my back porch roof. In pendulum mode with a flat backyard, it is still dead on accurate. If I tried it on a downslope, then it might be a bit off, I'm not sure... I'd have to play with that...
Old 08-30-2006, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

i love my pendulum, one pin out to30yrds. just put the pin on and release.
yardage dont even enter my head when the deer is within 30 yards.some hunters like several pins out to thirty or further,some like one be it pendulum or fixed pin, my choice the pendulum.
if it comeseasy i'll take it easy. i dont need math with the sight i choose.im starting to think multiple pin are unnecessary since the pendulum will shoot to my set yardage i feel comfy shooting at a live animal.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're forgetting about the effect of gravity on a projectile on the horizontal as well as on a downward angle.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:15 AM

I know that alot of guys shoot pins and then tell themselves to "hold a little low " when up in the tree but when it comes time to drop the string , the only thing I want to be thinking about is that exit hole on the opposite front leg. I had enough of poor shots and total misses on deer to know fixed pins were not for me up in a tree. Unacceptible to me.

Regarding the up/down hill compensation , my keller locks into a fixed position for ground shooting so then I would say I was in the same boat with the fixed pin shooters. I know that you can shoot strait up in a tree with the pendulum and be accurate as I have taken raccoons that way.

If I have a choice to be dead on without thinking about it or to be just slightly off but have to think and compensate , I know what I will and have chosen. To each his own as they say.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:09 AM

I use Savage, Love it! it is quiet, had problems with the Keller's noise, but did kill deer with it, alsoI don't shoot over 30 yrds.i put one on my wife's bow. it will deffinately help since she is new to hunting and has a hard time judging distances. I never hunted on hilly terrain though so i can't tell you about slope shooting. no more "opps wrong pin" when the heart gets to thump'n!
Old 08-31-2006, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with the other that say they don't make a differance and yes,I've owned the savage.If you bend at the waist and shoot a relatively fast bow,they offer no real advantage.My bow sotts 294fps.I sight dead on at about 26 yards and I'm about an inch high at 18 yards and a hair low at 30.When I shoot from 20 feet in the air,there is absoluely no differance in point of impact.

Quick Reply: Pendulum Sights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.