Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

old compounds...new compounds

Old 08-27-2006, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: old compounds...new compounds

lot of guys shooting the switchback! any thoghts on alpine or darton bows(seems like darton is the red headed stepchild of bows these days but i kind of like them for the price they can be had).
Old 08-27-2006, 11:50 AM

If you can afford it, $1000 rigs are worth it. You won't even touch that 7-12 year old bow again and you will say to yourself, "what the heck have I been doing out inthe woods with that old bow all these years?"
Old 08-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Dominant Buck

You're going to get everyone favorite in this thread so let me put mine in. I love my Darton Maverick with recurve limbs. I shot PSE for 25 years before buying the Darton. I've shot all the rest. The best bow for the money to me is my Darton. I can afford any bow I want. I didn't buy $1000. Mine is easy to tune and stays in tune, has level nock travel, smooth draw and is extremely quiet. PLUS, it's a killing machine. I play with a new one now and then just to see how they do. I shot one of the BowTechs the other day. Great bow too, but more expensive than the Darton if that's a concern and really no better. I wouldn't own a Mmmmmmmm... Mmmmmmmmmmm. .. (You know0, In my opinion they're over rated, over hyped and rediculously over priced.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

started shooting at 10 years old & My first compound was a darton scout i think. it maxed out at 45#otherwise id still be shooting it. won a lot of 3d shoots with that bow inyouth class and took 3rd a few times against the men when i was 13(i shot a bunch back then) if i could go back intime the young me would shoot circles around menow.! im kinda partial to dartontoo. these new alpine bows look like something off the movie Mad Max or star wars.,whats up with that?
Old 08-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you're happy with your performance in killing deer with your current bow, then no $1,000rig isn't worth it. At the end of the day that's all that matters. It's really that simple.

It's amazing where equipment technology and the perception of needing the latest everythinghas gone. IMHO a lot of overkill and gadgets that one may or may not be able to do without. If you feel you are not consistent enough or confident you can cleanly kill a deer with your current setup, then you may want to consider upgrading to the point where you are confident you have the weapon in your hand that will do the job. If you can group 3" all day long at 30 yards........ how much better do you want? If you drop deer year after year with your current bow....... how much better can you do with $1,000 rig?

Now if you just want a new toy and the best of the best on the market, then that's fine too [8D]
Old 08-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its more of an itch than anything else.

in about 4 months ill have my recurve and next year ill be shooting deer the way we did for thousands of years before the compound. technology is wayy overrated when it comes to something as primitive as hunting period(its very rediculous). the thing that cracks me up the most are all the high tech camopatterns that arent worth a lick. you can go out and kill deer in Khaki pants and a brown sweatshirt.....ssshhhhh...dont tell anyone i do it every year.but new toys are always fun
Old 08-27-2006, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

still cant find anything on the 23 inch axel to axle bow.. i know there is one out there being made
Old 08-27-2006, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I've been reading all thru the threads and I noticed that no one mentioned a Golden Eagel, I guess they don't make them anymore or maybe there under a diffrent name.
Anyway I have an Golden Eagel, had it for about 12 to 15 years now it shoots pretty good but the axle to axle is kinda long 36 in. I'll still use it until my wife buy a new one for my retirement gift ( l o l ).
Old 08-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

golden eagle was a premium bow back in the day. wonder what happened to them? the 23"bow i mentioned is a new contraption my dad was tellin me about i cant find any info tho
Old 08-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yea its been a pretty good bow over the years shot a lot of deer and turkey with it.
Every time I think its time to get a new one I keep telling myself ( I say self why do you want a new one when your shooting this good ) and sure enough I talk myself out of getting a new bow.
Sometimes those little voices in my head get the best of me.

Quick Reply: old compounds...new compounds

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.