Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

is my DL too short?

Old 08-26-2006, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default is my DL too short?

is my draw length too short or too long or just right? I know my bow arm is low but i just switched to doing this and its very comfortable and my groups have gotten somewhat better

Old 08-26-2006, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: is my DL too short?

sorry about the picture its the best i could do, what about form?
Old 08-26-2006, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'd say your arm is bent a little too much. straighten it out some, and place the string on the tip of your nose.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Possibly.....

1.You are anchored too high on your face

2.Your release hand is too far back on the release itself,shorten the barrel if you can to get your hand closer to the trigger.

3. You need to find a consistent repeatable anchor........with that hand position and high anchor that will be difficult. It actually looks like your release hand is floating.

4. You do have a slightly exaggerated bend in your elbow, and though it appears that your string is too far back on your face (which would indicate a bit too LONG of a draw length), if you get your anchor down where it belongs that will fall into place and bring teh string just to the tip of your nose. That said after the release hand is corrected I think if you put your bow arm into proper position (a little more forward ) everything will pull off your face forward......IMO by trying to picture where your anchor should be it does look a bit too short , probably 1/2 or so.

5. Don't grasp the front of the riser with your fingers like that.......hand position looks OK but let your bow hand loose and fingers relaxed, you have tension in your fingers. Let em' hang but keep the same position.

6. Don't grab the release. Relax those fingers as well. Position the release such that you have your index finger draped loosely over the trigger and you can pull the trigger straight back with the first joint. Don't reach for the trigger.

Mess around with that stuff a bit and take another picture........You'll know it's getting closer to correct when you are looking OVER your peep sight where it is now.

Old 08-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

anchor point really doesnt matter as long as you can repeat it.Atleast thats what ive always heard from ppl and ppl on here
Old 08-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Matt.......I'll say this with love: TRUST ME.

Try to get you release hand down and forward such that your 2nd thumb knuckle finds bone on bone contact with the underside edge of your jaw.

Old 08-26-2006, 03:50 PM

How you going to kill stuff looking at the camera?

Old 08-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

well guys Matt/PA i went out and tried some of those things. I added 1/2 inch of draw which straightened my arm out to where its supposed to be, and i shortened up the release some and it really improved my groups, i think what i was doing was i was reaching for the trigger which caused me to flinch a little
Old 08-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Trust me, Cougars... You couldn't be getting better advice from anyone else if you went out and paid for it... Listen to Matt; he's got just a few archery championships under his belt! And his form is practically perfect.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

yeah, thats just comfortable for me, my arm high like that, if i lower it its too uncomfortable and i cant shoot consistently or repeat it.I added 1/2 of an inch to my draw which straightened out my bow arm and my anchor was still the same.also i shortened up the rod on my release so im not reaching for the trigger,and this helped tremendously